You can type here any text you want

Nice Day for a Drive?????

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNX243

Many folks on this site say these cars were meant to be driven. I bought the car in 1990 and would drive it frequently. Back then it was just another Monte Carlo to others but even so, in 1995 someone went out of their way across the parking lot to an empty area where I parked to key the door. I guess I should not be too upset because today they would steal it. Partially because of that, I now only take it out of the garage to car shows. That was until I was driving to the Kirban event last when the brake light came one. This was the second time (first time on the road) the powermaster let me down. But I am up and running except that when I take it out on a run, I keep one eye on the road and the other on the brake light. Whenever I come to a stop, I hold my breath (there is also a protocol about being prepared to throw it into park so I have my hand on the shifter).

That was until a few weeks back when a friend sent me the link ABC News which is an ABC expose that tires over 6 years old disintegrate because of age and tire dealers sell old stock without regard to age causing loads of fatalities on the highway (also see Tire Tech Information - Determining the Age of a Tire for a less biased evaluation). In 1995 I swapped out the VR’s for ZR’s so I guess anytime now, I can expect my tires to blow out. So its one eye on the brake light, one hand on the shifter and one ear to listen for my car tires. When I arrive at the car show, my knuckles are white from holding the steering wheel so tight to keep it from swerving when the tire blows. I know a lot of you are in the same boat and have tires over 6 years old. How do you feel about this concern?

No concern, like brakes or anyting else be cautious but should we stay home and never leave and live in fear.

No, powermaster, old tires, no brakes... would throwing it into reverse actually work or just break the shifter...

I use eagle gt ROWL on my GN... drove it to Bowing Green in 2005 and still running same tires... if I roll my t-top, it will be like razor blades inside an aquarium... I have had closer calls with death in accidents, and when it is our time, we are done... some of us may get a second chance... That would suck to roll my gn due to bad tires and I only drive my car 1,000 to 2,000 miles per year... what are the odds?

I think I am more concerned about rolling in my jeep with the tight steering on those vehicles...

Back