You can type here any text you want

Nitrous activation problems.. HELP QUICK

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Ricky Trussell

Guys I have a bank to bank system. I got the option file from lance to go from electric fans to nitrous. I can not get my nitrous to activate. The fast activates fuel according to my settings but the nitrous noid is not being activated.

What wire from the F.A.S.T. do I hook to the selodiod (sp) to?? I bought the nitrous harness but am thinking I need it hooked to the fan ground from fast?????

You do know that needs a relay, right?

(have to ask the simple stuff first)

You'll have to give it a 12v+ signal when you arm the system, and there should be a ground signal to wire to the relay. I forget the wire colors offhand.

-Bob Cunningham

p.s. Selodiod??? ;-)

I am an english teacher can't you tell Bob???:D

I bought the nitrous harness from F.A.S.T. It has two relays in it. It has two wires that are for nitrous activation. One for 1st stage (orange) and the other is for 2nd stage (brown). I followed the
instructions for wiring it . There are only four wires total. I only use three of those.

This is where it gets confusing. I don't know what to do with the orange wire for the 1st stage nitrous in the F.A.S.T. harness. I ASSumed it would go to soleniod. Then the other soleniod wire would be ground (per the instruction). No voltage to soleniod, but F.A.S.T. sees nitrous enable and activation which retards timing and adds fuel.

I have the relay that the fans were run through. So I wired it so the fast box grounds (black- fan wire) the relay and the relay sends voltage to the nitrous solenoid. The wires on the relay that can send voltage are the yellow or brown, with one them being battery and the other hooked to the solenoid. Red is the 12 volt switched.

I don't know if this is right. I don't know what would ground the black wire in the box if this was for the fan. I changed my fan on setting to 0 but the default is 36. No nitrous activation but I DO have fuel enrichment and timing retard.

I ended up putting the nitrous soleniod on a push button and let the controller retard the timing and add fuel,. I needed ;) to use the nitrous Sunday and had no choice. I can get help from F.A.S.T. next week. This is not good early nitrous... KABOOM, late nitrous... fat till it clears.

It will work... I tried it tonight :D .... But I must hold the button down for the nitrous.

If you wired the lead from the FAST directly to the solenoid, you might have already ruined that circuit. It is only made to ground a relay (the trigger, not the power side of the relay).

The FAST harness probably doesn't include the relay for nitrous.

-Bob Cunningham

Originally posted by bobc455
If you wired the lead from the FAST directly to the solenoid, you might have already ruined that circuit. It is only made to ground a relay (the trigger, not the power side of the relay).

The FAST harness probably doesn't include the relay for nitrous.

-Bob Cunningham

To ruin the circuit it would need to have 12v to the board. Don't you think??With the fan ground wire attached to soleniod there is no voltage going to the F.A.S.T. .

The F.A.S.T. harness has two relays and the instructions say "Hook the orange wire to the soleniod and the other wire from the soleniod to ground".

The only reason I used the relay and the fan ground wire out of F.A.S.T. was beacuse I thought it might somehow go to ground If I had the fan temp settings at 0* The default is 36* and it still did not send power to the soleniod.

If you have an ECU configured for DIS or HEI ignition you need to use the fan output to trigger the relay. This is on pin R3. The output switches to ground.

If the fuel and timing adjustments are working properly then everything else should be good. The nitrous harness you bought connects to the nitrous control outputs. I believe if you connect the white wire on the 3 pin connector on the end of the nitrous harness to pin R3 on the FAST it will work. The nitrous harness needs a +12V supply, and the output wires will provide +12V to the solenoids. Ground one end of the solenoid, connect the other to the first stage output from the nitrous harness. I'll double check this tomorrow morning as it is late but I am pretty sure this will have you working.

Originally posted by Craig Smith
If you have an ECU configured for DIS or HEI ignition you need to use the fan output to trigger the relay. This is on pin R3. The output switches to ground.]

I do have HEI and fan control and have loaded the nitrous option file that switches from fan to nitrous.

If the fuel and timing adjustments are working properly then everything else should be good. The nitrous harness you bought connects to the nitrous control outputs. I believe if you connect the white wire on the 3 pin connector on the end of the nitrous harness to pin R3 on the FAST it will work. The nitrous harness needs a +12V supply, and the output wires will provide +12V to the solenoids. Ground one end of the solenoid, connect the other to the first stage output from the nitrous harness. I'll double check this tomorrow morning as it is late but I am pretty sure this will have you working.

I have a toggle switch to arm the system. I have the nitrous harness plugged in. I just was not sure if I needed to use the fan output wire to the soleniod or to the negative side of the relay.

M. Taylor has been very helpful on issues that I have had, but I waited too late to get in touch with him Friday. By the way I think he needs a raise!!:D

Back