You can type here any text you want

No power to amp??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Baron Von Buick

Big White Guy
I just put a system in my car, Sony Xplod radio 300w Jensen amp and 2 12"'s. It worked fine until i had to disconnect the wires from the back of the radio so i could put on the kit to fit the radio in the console, now this is what i did- removed the wires for the adapter to the radio, removed the memory wire from the lighter wire, removed the amp wires and the gorund from the radio and remove the wire that gives power to the amp and fan then i put the face on plugged everything back in turned on the radio and i only had power to the inside speakers, no power to the fan, amp or subs, i checked the fuse in the radio, amp, every fuse under the dash and every wire for the radio that i dissconnected and i also changed the 80amp fuse from the wiring kit for the amp and subs and i still have no power to the amp, fan or subs! PLEASE someone tell me they know whats wrong. BTW i used the system for a total of 20 mins. and not loud.

Thanks
Patrick

get a test light test the power wire for the amp (at the amp) ignition on or off you should have power there at all times then turn on the ignition on and test the remote wire at the amp you sould have power there only with the ignigion on or in accesory if both are working properly make sure your ground is good (touch the ground on the test light to the ground wire on them amp then touch the light to a powered wire if the test light lights the ground is good) if you have power, remote and ground and its still not working then theres gotta be somethng wrong with the amp.

what gauge wiring are you using ?
for your application i would reccomend 8 gauge power and ground and somewhere between 10&14 for the remote (i use 10 most people use 14)

on the main power remember to put an in line fuse no more than 6-8 inches from the battery

on the other hand if the amp is powering up but no sound you gotta check your rca's and speaker wire from the amp to the subs

where in NY are you located ?

Ok now i bought the test light kit and did exactly what you said. Like you said the amp power cable had power with the car on or off. then i check the remote amp wire no power there at all with the car on or off or in accesory , then i checked the remote amp wire at the radio no power there, so i think its the wires from the Sony Xplode. im gonna buy another wire kit for the radio and see if that works. this radio has bee in 4 cars already so maybe the wiring harness the radio came with is no good some how from stretching.

you could also hook the remote wire up to the switched power wire for the stereo sony stereos do have a habit of blowing the remote wire connection inside the stereo

Excuse my inexperience but i know absolutely pretty much nothing about car stereos what do you mean "the switched power wire"? and what effect will doing that have? And wouldnt that leave the amp on all the time if its on a direct power line?

P.S.-sorry for the dumb questions.:confused:

all stereos have a constant power wire and a switched power wire the constant power allows the stereo to retain memory. while the switched power is what turns the stereo on and off with the ignition switch. most stereos have a power antenna wire which is what signals the antenna to go up and down this is what most people wire their amp remote wire in to and some stereos have a wire that is spacifically made for a remote wire.

you can hook the remote wire to the switched power wire on the stereo with out a problem
a remote wire can be hooked up to anything that turns on and off with the ignition switch

Well i hooked it up to the power switch wire and i now have a working system! Thanks alot bud i'm greatful for all your help

Patrick:D

no prob dude hey i like the big white guy thing thats usuially what they are callin me

Hey if the shoe fits (which it normally doesnt) wear it! Everyone at work and my friends all call me "The Big Show" because they say i look just like him and i have the height (not as tall but tall). I've been to a local Wrestling show that they used to have on Jamaica Ave, and everytime i went 7-8 kids used to ask for my autograph thinking i was him. I get it alot.:D

Patrick

Back