You can type here any text you want

Off idle stumble fixed

• Thread starter Thread starter ALL PRO V6
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
A

ALL PRO V6

I have had this off idle stumble since I owned the car and no one has been able to fix it or tell me what the problem is until the other night on this site. Someone said they turned their cam sensor 1/8th turn counterclockwise. I did this to my car today and it has never run so smooth off idle. It is also a whole lot more responsive. I can't remember the guys name that said this but I sure do thank him.

Mac

Ive been chasing a stumble to. Im going to try turning the cam sensor too. Ive also been trying to figure out why my scan tool is showing 2-6 degree of knock with at least 100 octane on 15 psi. One guy said the cam sensor adjustment fixed his low boost knock. I hope it works, Im tired of messing with the IAC and not getting results on the stumble.

The first thing I check is the DP. I have had my pipe hit the crossover pipe and I have had it hit the frame.

Just lay next to the car and hit the pipe in front of the cat with the side of your fist. You should not hear any thing hitting.

With the mods you've got you must have an engine tie-down?

I cant get to the cam sensor bolt to loosen it. The small part of the housing were the cap screws go in , on one side is directly above the bolt. I cant get a tool on it. Because of this being right above the bolt, do you guys think it might be out of position. I have a caspers cam setting tool and the led light is on at the sensors current position. Any ideas??

First you should be sure that your sensor is set correctly. If it is set right and you still have the tip in stumble, you should be able to reach the bolt with an extension. This is the case on my car, if not, try using a swivel attachment. My stumble was greatley helped by the slight turning ccw. If you turn it to far one way or the other, all that happens is that the car konks out, so no worries about hurting it.

HTH

Well today I messed with the cam sensor. I finally got the bolt lose, not with a swivel but a ghetto tool I rigged up. I turned it 1/8 turn ccw, but the car would not start. I turned it back slightly and it started up instantly. I took it for a drive and the stumble is still there. Its about a 2 sec stumble if i floor it off idle or from a slow roll. What else should I be looking for.

Make sure you mark on the sensor and the front cover so you can put the sensor back where it was originally if this doesn't help. Continue adjusting the sensor, this time clockwise. If turning it 1/8 turn ccw didn't allow your car to start, I would think that your sensor is not set right in the first place. Just after setting myu snsor to spec. I turn it ccw to see how far I could turn it until it konked out. I was able to turn it ~3/4 of a turn. So, I would suspect that your sensor is set wrong. Adjust it to spec. then see how it runs. If still bad, try turning it different amounts ccw or cw. You won't hurt anything. I knnow this sounds pretty low tech. but there isn't any other prwcise way I know of.

good luck

Make sure you mark on the sensor and the front cover so you can put the sensor back where it was originally if this doesn't help. Continue adjusting the sensor, this time clockwise. If turning it 1/8 turn ccw didn't allow your car to start, I would think that your sensor is not set right in the first place. Just after setting my sensor to spec. I turn it ccw to see how far I could turn it until it konked out. I was able to turn it ~3/4 of a turn. So, I would suspect that your sensor is set wrong. Adjust it to spec. then see how it runs. If still bad, try turning it different amounts ccw or cw. You won't hurt anything. I know this sounds pretty low tech. but there isn't any other precise way I know of.

good luck

Lillington is between Raleigh and Fayetteville. Do you ever go to the High Point cruise-ins on Thursday nights?

Mac

No mostly at Fayetteville and a little 1/8th mile track called Dunn-Benson.

Back