You can type here any text you want

Oil cooler

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87 national

I am new to the whole turbo buick thing and I just rebuilt the motor for my car and was wonder where the oil cooler is suppose to go to on the motor because the tube that comes out of the radiator is blocked off with a cap was wondering if anyone had pictures or diagrams that would help me out thanks

the oil cooler lines connect onto the oil filter housing right by the oil filter.most did away with them after rebuilds.

I am new to the whole turbo buick thing and I just rebuilt the motor for my car and was wonder where the oil cooler is suppose to go to on the motor because the tube that comes out of the radiator is blocked off with a cap was wondering if anyone had pictures or diagrams that would help me out thanks

It might be a good idea to leave the oil cooler blocked off in the radiator if you don't know the reason the previous owner did that.

If the oil cooler gets contaminated for some reason from an engine failure it can't just be cleaned out it would have to be replaced. If you do use it what ever was in the oil cooler will now contaminate your new motor's oil system.

If you put a cooler back on I would get an Earls oil cooler with -10 lines. They are expensive but they are quality ;). Dont hook the stock one back up because of contamination like the others said, same goes for the trans cooler.

My 2 cents, I would definitely get an external cooler with a thermostatic sandwich adapter. This is an under-appreciated thing to do. But get a free-flowing "heavy duty" type cooler, because the pump drive on these engines is not the strongest. You really don't want the pump to see anything more than the stock 40 psi.

Like I said, my 2 cents.

--Jim Howard

Another 2 cents -- if there's a possible issue with contamination, get a new radiator!

--Jim Howard

Thanks but I do not no where the oil cooler lines go to on the motor because there is no adapter by the filter plus another thing I m only going to use the car as a daily driver and just get on it hard once in a while do I really even need a cooler

Thanks but I do not no where the oil cooler lines go to on the motor because there is no adapter by the filter plus another thing I m only going to use the car as a daily driver and just get on it hard once in a while do I really even need a cooler

No you don't, i haven't used one for many years.

The oil cooler lines attach to the sandwich adapter. The stock motor has a sandwich adapter that the oil filter screws onto. (I don't think the stock adapter has a thermostat, though, correct me if I'm wrong.)

Since the stock oil cooler is "immersion type" -- coolant on its way out of the radiator is supposed to cool the oil -- it's not really much of an oil cooler. People run these things with that arrangement though. Where I live it routinely hits triple digits in the summer, and "immersion" coolers aren't worth a whole lot. So I may be a little obsessed on this topic.

However, the turbo shaft bearing is oiled with a dedicated line that leaves the block immediately after oil from the filter enters the block. Keeping that bearing supplied with good oil is very important. That's all I know.

As they say on computer-related forums, "Hope this helps." (When they say that, it never does.)

--Jim Howard

Back