You can type here any text you want

oil leak....someone help me before I push this car in the river!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tom Tom Turbo

Turbo Goes Woo Woo
I'm at a complete loss here.....the engine was completely rebuilt using new components and I have all the confidence in the guys who put this short block together. I ran the car for about 50 miles before finding an oil leak in the front cover area. After finding that the high volume front cover was not flat, I had it machined flat, we test fitted it with and without the gasket installed and everything looked good. Reinstalled the front cover and the oil pan with a new Cometic gasket and fired it up...ran great and didn't leak a drop.

Fast forward 3 days, take the car out for a nice drive after replacing some brake lines and get the car into 6-8 PSI of boost, pull in to the gas station to top off the tank and I smell oil. Look underneath and its dripping from the engine cradle and around the front cover/oil pan/oil pump junction.

What am I missing???? It seems like it only leaks when it gets into boost....I'm just so frustrated with this car because its been over 6 years since I've been able to actually enjoy it. I'm damn close to just leaving it in neutral and watching it roll down the driveway into the river.

add dye and look with a black light to see where it is coming from. or take a smoke machine and hook it to the crankcase. either methods are real easy to find a leak.
good luck

If you're running a rubber oil pan gasket, that's most likely your suspect.

Dave, if the oil pan gasket was the culprit, wouldn't it leak regardless of boost?

A friend of mine suggested the rings weren't seating and causing the crankcase to pressurize and push out the gasket on the front cover, but I would think it would smoke if the rings were the issue.

best bet is to clean it off real good and use dye as suggested. I just rebuilt my engine and had the same issue. my leak was at the pump. When I put it together I did not use any sealant....never did in the past, anyway this engine did not like that. Pulled the pump back off got 2 new gaskets and this time used ultra grey on the gaskets.....no leaks.

Clean it off good go for a lil drive, no boost and check again just to make sure the boost/oil leak is not a fluke so you dont chase your tail.

Good luck.......and dont roll the car into the river....trust me I know exactly how you feel been there many times....just walk away cool off and take another stab.

Best of luck!

best bet is to clean it off real good and use dye as suggested. I just rebuilt my engine and had the same issue. my leak was at the pump. When I put it together I did not use any sealant....never did in the past, anyway this engine did not like that. Pulled the pump back off got 2 new gaskets and this time used ultra grey on the gaskets.....no leaks.

Clean it off good go for a lil drive, no boost and check again just to make sure the boost/oil leak is not a fluke so you dont chase your tail.

Good luck.......and dont roll the car into the river....trust me I know exactly how you feel been there many times....just walk away cool off and take another stab.

Best of luck!

I will give that a try when I have some time. Do you know, if I take it apart to the point of replacing those thin paper gaskets, do I need to re-prime the engine by removing the cam sensor?

I will give that a try when I have some time. Do you know, if I take it apart to the point of replacing those thin paper gaskets, do I need to re-prime the engine by removing the cam sensor?

I have done it both ways.....I have had my pump apart put it back together and did not prime...no problem, then this time I just packed the gear casing with syntetic grease and no problem. I see you have a roller also, before I pulled my pump apart I ran the car for a few minutes to ensure oil on the cam. If I had a flat tappet cam I would probably be more worried and pull the cam sensor and prime it but since I got a roller some grease in the pump worked fine....as soon as I hit the key I had full pressure within 2 sec.

So you live on the river….any catfish in there? Just kidd’in ! Might also want to check the oil line coming out of the block to the turbo, mine was leaking there…found it after replacing the pan gasket for no reason.

you have too use sealant on the gasket between the filter adapter and cover, or it will leak. I have also forgoten t0 put the short little cover bolt on, the one on the pass. side in the tight pocket

thanks for the tip guys, I will try any and all of this to make this damn leak stop. I've chased this a few times needlessly changing pan gaskets, when it was actually the front cover that wasn't flat (by quite a bit) so after having it machined, resetting the cam endplay, and still having a leak, its pretty frustrating.

I just went thru my 4 covers & Every Used Pump Cover was warped. I have no idea why but they were all higher in the middle. Check yours with a straight edge when you take it off. One was so bad 2 gaskets wouldn't seal it. Had them machined flat & just the paper gasket is all thats needed now. There shouldn't be any goop or silicone used on them.

Back