Oiling System Upgrades.

motorhead

motorhead mike
In light of the front cover being off of my LC2 I thought it might be a good idea to upgrade the oiling system a tad.

So I ordered in from Federal Mogul:
224-518-V Hi-Volume Oil Pump Kit
224-518TP Oil Pump Thrust Plate

Is there anything that I should be aware of when installing this equipment? Are there any simple mods to make to the cover or either the kit or the part? Or are the parts fine out of the box for a daily driver.

The above P/Ns came out of the latest issue of GMHTP, Jack Merkle’s LC2 build up.

Thoughts please.

PS: I'll get the biggie filter kit a bit later on.

That's the high volume kit with the extension housing for the pump. I didn't like it, didn't use it, don't think you need it.
The thrust(aka Booster) plate works well enough by itself, IMO.
Take your front cover and smooth all the galleys(not were the gears are), and round all the corners in the oils path. That, and doing the tech on the pump cover for the booster plate, will give you excellent oil psi. Mine ran 17psi hot idle and 40+ @ 2000rpm on the stock tach(and we know they're a little generous.)

Just pay close attention to how the oil galley hole in the plate lines up with the pump cover and timing cover galleys.

I'll second what WarpSpeed said...

I wouldn't use the Hi-vol pump...Some people have good luck with them...I just took one off of my car, wasn't the kit, but the whole hi-vol timing chain cover...I had other problems going on with my setup and took the hi-vol pump out of the equation to rule that possibility out as being the cause of my worn block cam thrust surface...

The booster plate and radiusing the oil passages in the cover should be all you really need to do to have all the oil pressure you need...