Opinions and a bit of info please

SilverSleeper

I am looking into buying a 95 Riviera with the sc 3800.
I have never even looked at any sc buicks before.

The car has about 135k (highway) on it, but is in really decent shape. It has all the toys on it. They want about 5500 for it, is that reasonable?
Anyone have these?

Any major problem areas, headache possibilites, with these cars?
It would be a daily driver for me, with maybe a few modifications to it. I just want to know ahead of time what I may be getting into.
Also, in searching for another car, can you easily tell if it has a sc3800 or not? Does the "GS" mean it has the sc or does it vary from car to car? I have been looking for a sc buick, but a lot of the ads I have been reading through just say GS, and wont say if it has a sc or not.
Thanks.

Ok here goes:

The Rivs are really nice cars, haven't heard anything bad about them either. I would recomend a '97 and up one however. Some Riv's were supercharged, some were not, I'll talk about the SC only. The '95 used a series I which had less hp and torque than the 96-00s. The 96s had the older tranny with the series II SC engine, which isn't nearly as strong as the 97-00s.

Here's a list of other cars with the series II SC:

96-present Park Ave. Ultra (standard)
96-present Bonnieville SSEi (standard)
96-99 LSS (option)
97-present Grand Prix GTP (standard)
98-present Regal GS (standard)
96-00 Riviera (option, standard on 99-00)

Thanx for the reply.
I would love to get a newer one, but Im pushing my $$ limit to even get the 95 if I get it.
Im not looking to make a race car out of it, just something that will be a nice driver. I really cant be too choosy for about 5500. I have to get something soon, the snow will start to fall here and stick, so I want to get the Turbo put up for the winter.
I just want something I wont have to worry about fixing for awhile so I can put the $$ into the regal (which really needs it)

The motor is very stout, which you already knew. They blowers do have a tendency to go through the front bearing assembly at around that mileage if not a little before. If you here a whine or noise from the front half when running look into it a little more. they aren't real expensive to fix (couple hundred usually) but why take on the hassle accidentally and unknowingly. Even the new models have this tendancy from what the dealers are seeing out of them now. That sounds like a good price really. My friend just sold a '95 loaded Riv with SC and about 65,000 miles on it and got like $6500 I am pretty sure. It had a rebuilt title as well. Good hunting!

Actually, the noise of a failing blower isn't a whine as much as it's the sound of rocks rattling around in the blower. This is the noise drive wearing out.

I'm running a 95 engine with a 92 pulley and it will compete with the Series II engines. Stock, the 94/95 is 225HP and 270 ft-lbs. If you can't get an S2, the S1 is very nice.

TK