You can type here any text you want

Opinions on BFG Radial TAs

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I went with the Firestone Firehawks.
A lot of people have had good luck with them and Firestone did have a 50.00 rebate.
I went 235/60/15 up front & 255/60/15 on back.

I ran BFGoodrich 255-60-15's a few years back, they were alright if you drive like normal, eve the slightest bit of boost and between first and second gear the car would get sideways. I have Yokohama's 255-60-15's on the GN right now and they are the same, good tire for easy driving, but forget about any boost, you will be sideways instantly. I might try the Firestone tires next, or maybe the Nitto's. I want something good in the rain also and also last a few miles!

this is a topic where you will find many opinions. ultimately it comes down to what you use the car for and what you like. do a search for more threads and opinions on this topic...

For the garage queen stock GN, since it is not a great idea to drive around at highway speeds on 20 year old original Eagle GTs, I went with a set of Bridgestone Potenza G009 in the factory 215/65 size. These will handle and last better that the equivalent Goodyear or BFG's of today. Bridgestone has since changed the tread pattern and no longer offer the G009's. The replacement is the G019 but I do not have any experience with it.

If you have a typical recipe modified street car (in the 12's or high 11's) and the car spends most of its time on the street, there are countless options. So many put BFG's on their car but they won't prevent the will kick out of the rear end under boost, or the snowplow push of the front end on a country road.

Everyone puts on BFG's because they are an inexpensive tire that works OK. It is pretty difficult today to find a performance tire for a 15" x 7" rim.

Points to consider...
1. factory tire diameter was 26". BFG 255/60 diameter is 27.1 so your speedometer, odometer will be off slightly. Factory tire size 215/65 was 802 revolutions per mile while the BFG 255/60 is 768 revolutions per mile.

2. rear end gear ratio will change slightly as a result of a taller tire. maybe this doesn't matter so much for your application.

3. most folks put a BFG 235/60 on all four corners as it is about 26.1" tire.

4. 255/60 has about 0.75" greater section width than the 235/60. on a 15" x 7" rim, a 255/60 tire looks a little funny to me. like it should be on a 15" x 8" rim.

5. you can look up a lot of tire spec data on tirerack dot com.

6. I attached a pic of a BFG 255/60 on a factory GN wheel for you. It's the only one I have for this tire. because of the section width, the tire looks under inflated when mounted on a 7" rim.

Ultimately it is your choice. this should help

Attachments

• BFG 255_60 on GN.jpg
    BFG 255_60 on GN.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 263
Thanks for the detailed info and pic

I have a full set (less than 4 K) on my 79 TA which I will probably sell when things pick up

my only experience with Radial TA's wasn't a good one. i bought a set for a 77 Impala 2 door (the one with the nifty back window)- 225/60 front and 235/70 rear. it was rainy the day i got new tires. on the way home, i discovered that my rotted and bald old tires were better in heavy rain than the brand new BFG's were in light rain- the car was all over the place.
but my experience with Firehawks- 235/60 front and 255/60 rear, on mid 70's steel Z/28 15X7 5 spoke wheels- on my 71 Nova was exactly the opposite. i couldn't get that car to hydroplane on those tires if i tried.

Hey novaderrik, I always liked thos Impalas with the nifty back window. I haven't seen one for lots of years now.

Hey novaderrik, I always liked thos Impalas with the nifty back window. I haven't seen one for lots of years now.
yeah, they make good cruisers and really aren't all that heavy for as big as they are.
plus, you can always find your car in the parking lot..

hey you guys, correct me if I'm wrong 255/55/15 would still be a 26" tall tire right? I was also looking at 245/60/15 which is only .6" taller. The only problem is I literally can't find any tire other than the BFG Radial T/A's in either of those sizes?? Any help with this?

I have had BFG T/A's on my GN since I brought it home in September '08. I drove it right to my shop and put a set of 235-60-15's on first thing. I had to because the RF Firstone 500 was separating/coming apart on me as I was driving it home!

Before that, I have run Radial T/A's on several cars with good life and performance. They ride nice and wet traction is as good as any regular all-season tire that I have ever driven on.

They are street tires and have their limitations. They are by no means racing tires. Get something else if you want to autocross or drag race (and win) and you'll be much happier :)

FWIW,
John

Back