You can type here any text you want

Opinions wanted?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbov6joe

Signal 1 J-12
Ok, just like most TTA's out there, my front ground effects are yellowing through the paint. I want to have it shot to match the rest of the body panels, but my buddy says I'm crazy. In his opinion then the car does not have 100% original paint....what do you all think? My other buddy says he would do it so the car showed great....I'm on the fence! Opinions please.

If you want to keep the car a 100% untouched survivor, your friend would be right. However, I don't see these cars fitting that category so I'd paint it, especially since it sounds like it bothers you and you always notice it.

This happened to Vette owners in the mid 70's when the plastic fronts and rears started fading. I talked talked to some body guys back in the day who worked with the plastic and paint manufacturers. While leaving the paint
as-is would have been correct, everyone recognized it was a defect in the process and material. To wit, I contend the crack in the rear spoiler is a TTA design flaw. Does that mean we have to live with it to keep it original? I vote no....same on repainting the urethane. I did mine and it matches the car beautifully.

Just my opinion, there will be others no doubt!

Fix things as needed . You will like it better and not have to explain to people how they all crack or fade.

If you got a big gash in the front you wouldn't be expected to leave it that way to keep it all original. And it shouldn't draw less money because its perfect.

With two alike cars for sale, I would buy the one that I didn't have to put extra money into to make it presentable.

Please yourself.

Unless you have less than 10,000 miles on your car, I doubt that it will ever matter to any future buyer. ;)

Have you tried a clay bar? Some have posted here that the bar takes the yellow off....

I believe this yellowing is the flex agent in the paint working its way through. What's crazy is that this 16k mile car has NEVER been stored outside and is having this yellowing....I believe my buddy's 3k mile TTA has the same problem. Ya know, I notice everything, even the samll things that nobody else sees...drives me crazy!

I'm in the same boat. My car has under 500 miles and the plastic along the rockers has yellowed. Strange thing is that the nose,rear bumper,and even the pieces on the doors are fine. I've heard that the white can be hard to get an exact match on. For that reason I'll leave mine alone for now. Like you,the little things bother me so at some point they will need to be done.I'll be sure to take before and after pics to show any future buyer the reason for the paint work. I hate to see any paint work on an original car but in my case the yellowed parts stand out like a Camaro at the TA Nationals. :eek:

src76ta said:
I'm in the same boat. My car has under 500 miles and the plastic along the rockers has yellowed. Strange thing is that the nose,rear bumper,and even the pieces on the doors are fine. I've heard that the white can be hard to get an exact match on. For that reason I'll leave mine alone for now. Like you,the little things bother me so at some point they will need to be done.I'll be sure to take before and after pics to show any future buyer the reason for the paint work. I hate to see any paint work on an original car but in my case the yellowed parts stand out like a Camaro at the TA Nationals. :eek:

Agreed! I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

paint

Hi,
The car should look as good as you want it to, and the heck with the originality, in my opinion.Cotillion white is a little off, don't you think? Matching a color is never easier than with white. Your choice. Good luck!

this paint mismatch is definately due to the flex additive in the paint. i've got a red gta with the same problem on both bumper covers and a silver monte ss with the same mismatch problem too, that's just the way the 80's paint jobs were. in fact, the bumpers on the gta never matched from day one!

as a collector, i'd say leave the paint alone. originality is key to bringing the most money. when it comes time to sell, being able to say that the car has 100 percent original paint goes a long way with me. any serious collector will understand the color mismatch if they know the car they are looking at.

i think you are truely better off letting the next owner decide what to do with the "flaw". factory originality counts! everyone you talk to will have different opinions on this. all i'm doing here is giving you mine. :wink:

If it bothers u fix it.

If u bought a car for an investment dont touch it.

If you bought it for its rightful intent to be automotive fury on four wheels, fix what you wish and enjoy the car.

Than maybe one day when we all have rust holes thru the doors and a 100k on our cars we can still sell them for 10k$ just like a buick. lol

That was mean wasnt it?

Have fun, its yours, enjoy it as you see fit. Mine has 103k on it and I'm just building it up to beat on it some more. No for sale plans here so I keep it original in appearance, but it doesnt mean it cant be improved upon.

later
Jeremy

Back