You can type here any text you want

Opinions...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

chicagoTTA

Crack Baby
Hello again all.

Fairly simple Q here. I've heard about the Dutt neck conversions, and now a Mease intercooler (looks nice) that has a much larger neck.

Here's my logic (I know, hard to believe).

One side is say, 2 inches (or 2.5, whatever). The other (intake/out side) side is 3 or 3.5. What's the benefit?

Weakest link theory here. Aren't you STILL limited by the size of the IN (from turbo) side? You could make the neck to the intake 17 inches, you're still getting only 2 (or 2.5) inches of air right? So really zero benefit??

I wonder the same thing about 3 inch down pipe vs. 2.5 inch... and 3 inch MAF pipe which feeds into a smaller turbo.

Opinions?

Just wondering if I am (yet again) missing something here logic wise.

Does/can it really provide better flow/more air??

Michael

Depends on what your trying to accomplish.

If the motor is stock, dont waste your money. Once in the mid 11's start contemplating change.

I went 11.40 on a bone stock IC, Bo just went 11.6's on a bone stock IC.

Get past me time wise then change.

HTH

That part I understand and completely agree. But, unless ALL in/out air sources are larger and same size... Including intake, TB, etc. Still same amt of air right?

Not looking to change yet. I am not at that point. Just trying to iron out logic that's all!

I also went 11.6 and had best mph of 121.4 with a completely stock intercooler. Right down to the screen still on. Its not that much of a problem until you are under mid 11's.

Thanks Rob, Julio...

I'm just trying to clear up the theory behind it. Ya know?

On one side you got 3.5 inches. The other, you have 2.5 inches.

You're only getting 2.5 inches of air. Right? Again, same as larger DP, Larger maf... all leading to a 2 inch TB. Makes no sense to me!

HELP!:D

FWIW, I swapped out my TTA IC for a GN IC with a Dutt. neck (couldn't pass it up for $50). Didn't touch a thing. Boost went from 17 psi to 20 psi. Spool up improved as well.

The theory to answer your question is that you are reducing the overall restriction in the system. Pressure drop through your intake system or you exhaust system is the sum of all the descrete little presssure drops from flow through tubes, bends, filters, mufflers, MAFs etc. True the pressure loss is higher through the smaller diameter portions of the system but not as high through the larger portions but it does not get "choked" off at the smallest diameter until you approach supersonic velocities. Thats why CAT back systems and headers work on a car with a catalytic converter and Cup teams spend big bucks on restrictor plate motors.

Back