oxidation,rust pits on steering wheel ?

III'S 87 GN

what too use on rust pits and oxidation on aluminum portion of steering wheel. i tried wenol on a small spot and it appears too remove the brushed portion of the alum.i would prefer something that will not shine it and leave the brushed look.

what do you suggest ?

thanks

Alum Cleaner

The best stuff that I have used to date is called "Right Stuff Aluminum Brightener and Rust Stain Remover". Used with a stiff bristle brush, it works very well. I found some stuff at SEMA I plan to try soon that looks to be even better, but I will let you know.

Alan

I just bought a re-wrapped (one of those 1/8 inch thicker) steering wheels and to my surprise, the wheel came back with rust spots. For what I paid, I just assumed they would take another 5 minutes and polish the wheel.

Anyway - Mothers aluminum polish with a soft rag did it for me.
Just cleaned it up. Careful not to get it on the leather....
:mad:

Cleaning steering wheel

I use a product called Nanal Jelly. It is made by Permatex. You can get it at any auto parts store. It is a rust remover and dissolver. I pulled my wheel off just to make it easier. I masked all the leather and wearing rubber gloves applied the naval jelly to all the aluminum. You need to let it set for a few miniuts depending on how much rust is on your wheel. Then with a SOFT washcloth rub away all the rust. I have done 2 Wheels this way and this product works great. Next apply a nice chrome and aluminum polish. Your wheel will look brand new again. Dont use anything rough that may leave scratch marks or any cross grain over the brushed aluminum. The aluminum on these wheels scratches easily.

Rust Spots

Originally posted by jdodman
I just bought a re-wrapped (one of those 1/8 inch thicker) steering wheels and to my surprise, the wheel came back with rust spots. For what I paid, I just assumed they would take another 5 minutes and polish the wheel.

Anyway - Mothers aluminum polish with a soft rag did it for me.
Just cleaned it up. Careful not to get it on the leather....
:mad:

Who did you get the wheel from?

Alan

I will have to look it up. The wheel is in my trunk in the box. I
will find out an let you know.. Why do you ask and - what are
Buns ??

question

Originally posted by jdodman
I will have to look it up. The wheel is in my trunk in the box. I
will find out an let you know.. Why do you ask and - what are
Buns ??

Just want to make sure its not me and if so, that it never happens again. I personally cleaned all of the wheels we use as cores on exchange and refuse to use one that's not near perfect.

Seat buns are the cushions. The lower seat cushions of the bucket seats.

Alan

Mine had some rust on the backside, I just used a stainless steel bristle toothbrush, in the direction of the machine lines and it took it right off, looks good as new.

steel wool

Originally posted by III'S 87 GN
i will try steel wool first.

i forgot about naval jelly !!!

great
thanks

Be carefull with the steel wool. Use ONLY 0000 and employ a light touch. NO hard scrubbing.

Alan