You can type here any text you want

PCM Woes.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

widge

Let me apologize for the length of this post right now.

So I posted a thread awhile back about what I had thought was a choke problem, and went through all sorts of hell with that. It was fixed... for a little while, but it's acting up again.

Let me first start by giving the symptoms, and then what I consider to be the probable cause.

When I first start the car after sitting, it runs great... for awhile. No stumbling, no flat spots in the throttle, nothing. And it stays that way so long as I never have to idle at a stop light or anything. As soon as I have to sit somewhere for more than a few seconds, the idle becomes rougher, and it sputters and bogs when I accelerate at anything other than WOT.

I took it to a mechanic who hooked it up to... something, and found out that the computer works fine when the key is in the ON position, but approximately 5 seconds after the car is started, the computer shuts off... every time. He told me that it was probably a dead ECM and that it was running in open loop, and was under the impression that the motor was running lean and therefore dumping fuel in like crazy, and causing a rich condition which would explain my symptoms.

So I took his diagnosis and bought a new ECM and plugged it in. Things were absolutely fantastic; like I had a whole new car... for a day or two. Now, I'm under the impression that the same thing is wrong, and that whatever killed my last ECM has killed my new one. :mad:.

Does anyone know what I can check to see what's killing my computer? I have a shop manual for '81 Buicks, and I imagine it's not that much different, and the only thing I got out of it was that it might be the M/C solenoid (mixture control, I guess), but this is a brand new carb, so I'm kind of at a loss.

Also, what exactly could my mechanic have plugged in to monitor the computer status just so I could maybe see if I could see it for myself?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Scott

You could have a bad ground. Or some other "bad connection" in the harness.

Have you looked at the connectors on the sensors to see if they are clean & not corroded?

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I'm going to take a closer look at all the wiring this weekend, I don't really have much time to screw around with this much until then. :(

I'll definitely look into picking up a scan tool, I just have to weigh its value since I don't plan on keeping this motor in there for very long (another year or two, tops), but I need it to run long enough to last me.

Do either of you happen to know if I can use the ECM pinout diagram in my '81 shop manual, or if the design changed between then and '83? If I could, I'll just take out my multimeter and make sure everything's kosher with that, too. I just don't want to miss problems/get false positives if the diagram is wrong.

[EDIT: I saw the "83 ECM Pinout" thread, and will double check that. hopefully the design didn't change between the turbo and n/a motors.]

Thanks again.

Back