Piston pin to rod clearance question

Flyin Brian

What is the recommended clearance between the piston pin and the rod?
This is a K1 rod with a .927" floating pin. Current clearance is .0014" on the loosest one.
I can get them re-bushed if needed but my machinist is saying they should be more like .0005" which seems a bit tight for this application to me.
I found a thread on here where someone stated .0008" to .0012".
I would like to avoid re-bushing if possible but will do it if it is necessary.
Thanks,
Brian

I know this is not an answer to your question but it made me think of TurboDave Huinker (who is no longer with us) as someone to ask.

I'm sure someone else will chime in soon.

.0005" is too tight. .001" is where you want to be. How many in the set are oversize?

Neal

.0005" is too tight. .001" is where you want to be. How many in the set are oversize?

Neal
At least 4 of them were bigger than .001", maybe more. I will go by the shop tomorrow and get a measurement on all of them. These rods have a few thousand miles on them. Everything else checks out good on them. The pins in my old pistons were .9274" which would have made the fit better. The pins in my new pistons are right at .9270" which makes them looser. I can have the shop bush the rods and try to get them all right at .001" if that is the preferred number.

I went by the machine shop this morning. All of the rods were from .0011" to .0015" clearance so I am getting them re-bushed.
I told the machine shop guy to get them all between .0008" and .001" but as close to .001" as possible.
Thanks for all the input on this!
Brian