plastic tank baffles vs metal

tb3

elbows & a$$holes
I've done a search on this and came up with lots of good reading and information. However, I'd like to go ahead and post to see if I can get a specific answer to the question I have. I'm replacing the original tank on my 84 GN due to a couple very very slow leaks and it has thick undercoating on it, and I want a bare metal color tank on it like the 87's came with. I've purchased a used like new tank. I just dropped the original tank from the car and noticed it has the yellowish plastic baffles along with the metal ones. The new tank has all the same metal baffles that the original has, but not the plastic ones. It does have the metal "dog dish" baffle in it that is right under where the fuel pump mounts. But it looks to me like its kind of worthless compared to the original tank with the plastic baffles since those baffles completely surround the pump. The tank I bought is supposed to be a original tank from a 87 t. I am aware of the low fuel and cavitating issues under hard acceleration. I want to install the tank with the best baffleing. The plastic baffles aren't flexible enough to be removed through the opening. Will I be ok with the tank that doesn't have the plastic baffles? Has anybody experienced this same dilema? What did you do and your results? any input is appreciated. thanks

btw, I have painted/clearcoated the tank I bought with a metal color enamel paint. and yes, I'm pitching the factory pump and installing a Walbro and new rubber pads and new straps while I have it apart.

I haven't had those baffles in salvageV6 since about 1995.

Daily driver.

If you don't pull the front wheels on launch and keep some gas in the tank when racing and cornering hard it won't matter one bit, it's one of those busted Buick myths. :p

I've been down to fumes many times with no issues, but not on the racetrack however. :)

The tank you have received is either aftermarket or modified the original turbo tanks had the plastic baffles in 1987.

For a driver I'd undercoat the thing too. :)