Please explain how the translator/extender work?

dboosted1

I have heard alot about these two but i still dont understand much. i know a chip is inserted into the ecu and changes fuel curves/timing etc. How does the translator/extender work. I know they have something to do with a aftermarket/used lt1 maf and the fuel/timing can be adjusted. Does it utilize a starting chip and then you tune from then or what? Thanks id advance.

Originally posted by dboosted1
I have heard alot about these two but i still dont understand much. i know a chip is inserted into the ecu and changes fuel curves/timing etc. How does the translator/extender work. I know they have something to do with a aftermarket/used lt1 maf and the fuel/timing can be adjusted. Does it utilize a starting chip and then you tune from then or what? Thanks id advance.

The translator is a little plastic box with some electronics in it. It does a couple things. First it lets you run a late model MAF. Then depending on weither you have a translator or translator plus you can change the idle fuel, and the WOT fuel, and if the plus version you can change the timing. The is also a switch setting for if your using an extender chip.

The extender chip allows for greater air flow resolution.
It also has some neat features, like A-T, lean cruise, launch assist.