You can type here any text you want

Pocono Airport Race

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbojimmy

Supporting Member
I went to the Pocono Airport race yesterday. It's a charity event that they put on every year. I went last year, too, but my car was broken so I took my dad's. This year I took the GN. They were at capacity with 100 cars ranging from basically stock Hondas to Pro Street cars. There was a TR there last year, but this year I was the only one.

It's not really organized too well and you have to wait for airplanes to take off and land, but other than that it's fun. It's 300 feet short of a 1/4 and the turn off comes up REAL quick.

I pulled into the area designated for racers. A bunch of people gathered 'round the Buick. No one was really sure what to think of it. Then one guy blurts out "It's a V6!" and everyone walks away!

After a long wait I finally get to the starting line. It's a mid-80s Camaro but it sounded mean. I spoke with the guy later and it turns out it was a built high-compression 355 CID crate motor.

Looking at the video, both wheels hooked during the burnout but when I launched the right wheel just spun and kicked the car a little sideways. I stayed in it, but the Camaro had a good jump on me - he had a perfect launch. At about halfway down the short track I blew past him.

I talked to him afterwards and he said he wasn't sure what I had but when he heard the turbo during the burnout he knew he was in trouble! Nice guy, nice car.

Anyhow, I became very popular after that run. Everyone wanted a piece of me. As I was leaving people were trying to set up races, but I could only get the one run in (my 3 yr. old son needed food and a nap).

I have a vid that I'll get up once my PC stops laboring with this new "XP Service Pack II" update.

Jim

Originally posted by turbojimmy

I pulled into the area designated for racers. A bunch of people gathered 'round the Buick. No one was really sure what to think of it. Then one guy blurts out "It's a V6!" and everyone walks away!

Jim

LOL! :D

It is short. My original post indicated it was a lot longer, but I edited out 30 seconds of waiting for the tire smoke to clear. The perspective isn't great but when we launched he was far enough ahead of me that I could see taillights. I made it up and passed him about mid-track. By the end you could see I was pulling pretty hard on him.

A lot of people comment on the sound. I bought that Torque Tech system for $50 used. I beat the crap out of the mufflers on a manhole cover and now it seems to have a unique tone to it.

Jim

Back