You can type here any text you want

poor rear brake response

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

nwarky

Hoping someone has experienced my current problem and could point me in the right direction. Basically I cannot apply my brake hard enough to lock up the rear wheels. Obviously this means something is not quite right. Best I can tell the car has the original rear brake shoes and wheel cylinders. I hate to just start replacing parts. Does this probably indicate poor rear wheel cylinder action or is the combination/proportioning valve to blame? Or is it neither of these? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Recently switched from the powermaster to the vacuum brake system but this problem existed before the brake system conversion. Thanks for any help.

Dean

Adjustments are important. The shoes should be just starting to scrape the drums when adjusted properly. It is best to disconnect the driveshaft so everything spins more easily. Do one side at a time. Then the most overlooked adjustment: the parking brake cable. Right in front of the LR wheel. Screw the nut down the threaded adjustment shaft until the parking brake engages fully at just 3 clicks on the pedal. You will see quite a bit of difference with these adjustments. This gets everything drum related in alignment so it works properly. Doesn't take long, maybe an hour total for the whole deal.

Back