You can type here any text you want

Powder coating headers and engine parts?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Project TNX

Hey guys, any of you guys have your headers powder coated, and if so did it hold up?

I should be dropping off quite a few parts to the powder coater this week and I am going for that "reflective chrome" look, where it looks like a satin finished chrome (thik ceramic coated look). But I don't want to go with that look if it tarnishes or anything else under heat. If that is the case I am going to go for a dull cast aluminum look.

So what can you tell me about powder coating in general?

I am dropping off:

headers, cross over
shield
inlet bell
intake manifolds
valve covers
pulleys
brackets for accessories
alternator
throttle body
valve stem

I plan on having them all degreased, but I doubt I'll blast them first because I am not set up to. :( I'm figuring on $500-700, but that may be a little naive on my part considering they have to do all the prep and what not. :o

I want the look of this guys lower intake manifold:

Picture%20040.jpg

I had headers, crossover, downpipe, and exhaust housing done for $360. That was ceramic coating, powder coat will not hold up for the hot parts.

Ceramic coating vs powder coating

I had my headers, cross over, exhaust side of the turbo, valve covers, and Champion intake all cermaic coated. I had my water pump pulley and other various parts powder coated that were not subjected to losts of heat. Powder Coating can't with stand exhaust temps.

Attachments

• GN003.jpg
    GN003.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,781
  • newEngine3.jpg
    newEngine3.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,696
I had my headers, cross over, exhaust side of the turbo, valve covers, and Champion intake all cermaic coated. I had my water pump pulley and other various parts powder coated that were not subjected to losts of heat. Powder Coating can't with stand exhaust temps.

Wow, that is the effect I am going for, but with a red block and red accents. That is beautiful. So I guess I will just bite the bullet and get the headers, cross over, and downpipe ceramic coated.

There's a place in Piqua Ohio Aesthetic Finishers that does ceramic coating that looks just like chrome. It stands up to over 1300 degrees I think. If you compare it side by side with Jet hot the jet hot looks dull. There phone number is (937) 778 8777 They also do powder coating as well.

Back