You can type here any text you want

power brake conversion

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

quick79

does anyone know the cheapest most efficient way to convert from power to manual? I have a 79 cutlass and I assume it is the same car as the buicks are. I am going to a turbo blowthrough setup and planning on making 1000 hp. I might be wrong, but I don't think that I can run a power setup with the turbo. It seems that when I lift off the throttle and the blowoff valve dumps I will loose my vacumn too. Will a electric vacumn pump run a power booster? I have one off a cadillac that pulls quite a vacumn, but I'm not sure how much. How much vacumn would it take to run power booster? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

There are a lot of folks here that run vacuum setups on their turbo buicks (I just don't prefer them). I believe the trick is to get the correct check valve and run the tap from the correct spot. I'm sure someone will chime in.

If you want to keep the vacuum power brakes, the vacuum pump should do it. I have seen them work. You would need in the area of 20" of vacuum.

Regardless, with that much power you will need all the braking power you can. I really don't think manual would be enough. If you keep what you have, make sure it is in top condidtion. You don't want brakes that old to try and stop you and give up.

HTH

Bruce P has converted to manual brakes, and had success. I'm not sure, but I THINK he has bigger discs, which makes it easier. The stock discs are so small, I think you would have a hard time stopping with manual brakes.

Back