Power Wire hole

87gnblackdemon

Don't Be Redikulas!!
Need to put in a new 4ga power wire, this time I wanna do it right. Right now I have it routed through the opening in my door on the passenger side, I don't like it, cause I had it this way in my s10 and after alot of opening and shutting one day the door finally made it through the covering and the wire touched metal and we had "some"(I wish we had "some" smoke, It brought the whole damn street out to see what it was) smoke. Very scary don't ever try it. So are there any holes under the dash on the passenger side? Or do I have to make one and point me in the right direction, I don't wanna drill into something.

You can run it along the length of frame rail into trunk (be sure to strap wire to frame) or you can do as I did if you want to run it inside car. Since a have a battery isolater on the drivers side fender well, I ran a 4 AWG through a slit in speedo cable grommet. There is plenty of room and you dont have to drill any holes into firewall. If you do decide to drill into firewall, then you need to install a rubber grommet in firewall so the insulation does not get cut and cause some serious electrical problems. Either of those 3 ways will work but using a pre-existing factory grommet will be easier and less work.

I just did this last weekend. I can take pictures Friday, and post them, if you'd like.
Unfortunately, I did not have any room to put the power wire through the factory existing grommet. (I already have the SMC wire, and boost gauge vacume line going through there.)
So, I drilled a new hole,(can't remember exact size)put a rubber grommet in place, and ran my power wire through there. I then took off the driverside kick panel, and chrome strip that runs along the door floor board, and ran the power wire under the carpet. The hardest thing for me was feeding the wire from behind the backseat to the trunk.
I'll take pictures Friday, and post them.

Ross

Originally posted by ross87t
The hardest thing for me was feeding the wire from behind the backseat to the trunk.

Ross, that is the easiest part ! Pop the lower rear seat out and then unbolt the seat belt torx head bolts and it comes out. I timed myself and did it in apx 3.5 minutes :cool: .

You really dont need to unbolt the upper portion of seat but it makes it a little easier :D .

Therem is a grommmet on the passengers side also near the large bundle of wires for the ECM,,if I remember the grommet was yellow ,,I plan on runing my 4AWG thru there from the battery then under the carpet ,then under the rear seat.

I ran mine inside the frame and up into the trunk thru a hole I drilled.. Found it to be easier then trying to fit nother wire thru the already crowded speedo grommit that audio is talkin about..

at the bottom corner of the heater box is a big rubber grommet for the heat/ac wires and vacuum lines to come thru i just made a hole in the rubber and went thru there

my uncle has a sterio shop and had a tool that cut the perfect size hole for the power wire.

Originally posted by REDS HOT AIR
at the bottom corner of the heater box is a big rubber grommet for the heat/ac wires and vacuum lines to come thru i just made a hole in the rubber and went thru there

Since you are running the cable on the side of the battery, that would be the place to use keeping in mind that you dont nick any wires or lines :eek: .

Originally posted by Audiowizard

Ross, that is the easiest part ! Pop the lower rear seat out and then unbolt the seat belt torx head bolts and it comes out. I timed myself and did it in apx 3.5 minutes :cool: .

You really dont need to unbolt the upper portion of seat but it makes it a little easier :D .

:D I just didn't want to remove the seat.
It really didn't take me that long to feed the wire to the trunk(5-8 minutes), but it was a little annoying climbing in and out of the back seat, and trunk, checking to see if the wire had fed through properly.

Ross

my runs...

I have my amp/fuel pump 4ga power wire run from the battery to a MCM Goldline water-tight AGU fuse holder (60amp) then down the inner-fender covered in Taylor black loom through a grommet (#263-722 $4.95ea. Phoenix Gold G60 Firewall Grommet 9-4ga from www.partsexpress.com), hole size for grommet is 3/4"(19mm) and I located the grommet right above the ECM harness grommet.

I pulled the wire through with the grommet attached with a wire-snake and then tightened the grommet in place...the 4ga then runs under the rocker panel sill plate in the stock plastic loom cover and toward the back seat and then over to the driver's side right below the rear deck..into the trunk and to a 4-ga->4x8ga distribution block (#265-800 $3.45ea. partsexpress.com).

The DA block feeds my amp, my cap and my fuel pump relay. The grounds from the cap and amp goto another DA block (identical to the postive side one) to 4ga. black wire, goes through the back of the trunk wall right above the grommet (identical grommet as positive side) for the tail light harness to a soldered and crimped on gold plated ring terminal (#263-520 $1.95ea.) that is attached to the lower energy absorber hole (hole area was ground down with wire wheel to expose clean metal surface on both sides).

Ring is attahced using a 5/16" stainless bolt-washers-star washers on either side and nylon locking nut.

I get 13.86-14.06vdc at my fuel pump connector at idle.