You can type here any text you want

Powermaster questions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
1. I am looking on info to explain how the powermaster works. If anyone can please direct me to this info it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Why was the powermaster used on the '86-'87 Turbo Regal? Was there a reason why vacuum brakes did not come on the Turbo Regal?

Thanks!

1. I am looking on info to explain how the powermaster works. If anyone can please direct me to this info it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Why was the powermaster used on the '86-'87 Turbo Regal? Was there a reason why vacuum brakes did not come on the Turbo Regal?

Thanks!

Question 2: because the turbo engines didn't produce enough vacuum.
Do a search and you will find a ****ton of info.

I did do a search, hell there's people running vacuum brake son their turbo cars. Best I found so far is 84-85 used hydroboost and GM thought because they leaked PS fluid they'd try powermaster.

Hydroboost Vs Vacuum Vs Powermaster

Vacuum boosters need vacuum to work. There is very little on a 231 ci engine with an overdrive, fuel inj, and a turbo. The hydroboost was designed and built by Bendix Aviation Corp., who sold it to Bosch in 1995. The G.N.'s have, part for part, the same brakes as an S10 p.u. There is a big weight difference, a big horsepower difference, and a big speed difference. The T Types from 83-85 used the Hydroboost from the factory. Those hydroboosts are still running trouble free 25 years later. G.M. is always partial to A.C. Delco as a supplier. Delco saw the smog dog 4 cyls and fuel shortage cars on the horizon, and knew that vacuum was going to be a problem. They developed the Powermaster as a complete "module" type bolt on brake system, for heavy station wagons and for the turbo charges cars, for the 86 model year. It's a great idea, but pumping brake fluid at high pressure isn't. Brake fluid is not a lubricant. The vanes in the P/M pump were made of phenolic resins, not steel. The steel vanes would gall with brake fluid as a lubricant. So, the phenolic vanes wear out quickly, trying to pump high pressure. The other problem is the seal between the pump and it's windings. When the seal goes out, the 12v section floods with brake fluid, and shorts out the fuses and the motor. No motor, no pressure=hard brake pedal. The S10 used the same vac booster as the std Regal, but no turbo. G.M ceased using the Powermaster in 1987. Most cars turned into FWD's after that. Luckily, the new Hydroboosts can be fitted onto the G bodies, with no alterations, to replace the Powermaster. The hydroboost offers superior stopping power, with no vacuum involved, and no electric motors involved. They can deliver up to 2000psi to the calipers, at idle p/s pump speed. They can even outlast the car.

I have considered hydroboost, but I'm wondering if I'd need to also change the brake pedal?

I know if I went to a vacuum brake system a pedal swap would be in order.

I never knew the S-10's came with anything other than vacuum brakes.

Hydroboost Vs Vacuum Vs Powermaster

The Powermaster and the Hydroboost use the same pedal. It is a bolt on conversion. Those 2 systems like the higher pedal ratio, and use a much larger master cyl piston. The Regal vacuum booster/master combo used a 24 mm (15/16") piston. The P/M uses a 1.250" piston, and we use a 1.125" piston with the Hydroboost. The big pistons need more pedal leverage. Check out all the posts under "Hydroboost?"

Thanks!

What more would you like to know that I don't have explained in the beginning of my bleeding procedure?

zues87gn, I got my new acc. on Friday put it on Saturday and thank you to Heaven above the brake didn't flash when I started the car and backed it out of the driveway. I took it for a test drive and NO problems sooo far!?!?!

zues87gn, I got my new acc. on Friday put it on Saturday and thank you to Heaven above the brake didn't flash when I started the car and backed it out of the driveway. I took it for a test drive and NO problems sooo far!?!?!

Zeus - 1 more (lost count)
Bob - 0

Thanks for the info. Glad to know it worked.

Vacuum boosters need vacuum to work. There is very little on a 231 ci engine with an overdrive, fuel inj, and a turbo.

Yet the 1989 Turbo trans AM's were equipped with the same 231 turbo engine but were equipped with vacuum brakes. How they made it work I have no idea but I don't believe the vacuum brakes used here were any different than a typical vacuum brake system?

Sounds like the PM design was just a bad design all together.

The seal inside of mine must have failed and flooded it thus shorting out the motor?

I wanted to go with hydro having worked on them before but i just picked up a vac setup and plan the install next weekend

Mike

Back