You can type here any text you want

Pre-1979 heads?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Turbo Riviera

I'm looking to buy an intake manifold.

I would like to use it on a set of 8445 heads and a 1984 14 bolt block. The seller says that the intake only fits pre-1979 heads. Is this the "odd fire" motor?

It looks like that the intake would fit to me.

here's a link: Intake Manifold

Let me know what you guys think. It looks like it will work to me, but there's probably some significant difference that I'm not picking up on.

I suggest getting a book called V-6 Performance by Pat Ganahl (still in print). It covers pre SFI Buick V-6's well.

The book mentions the 7542 Weiand, but it's not clear to me if it's for high port or low ports heads. Odd-fire came along in mid-1977, but it wasn't until 1979 that the high port heads came out. This intake might be somewhere between the two ports size-wise.

The book also says the 7542 is a competition intake design for 7,000+ rpm use and not practical for the street. 7541 is the street version. Weiand has been bought by Holley.

There are plenty of intakes out there. The V-6 book covers most.

I am attracted to this intake's RPM range. This will not be on a street driven vehicle.

I might just take a chance on this and if it doesn't work, I can offer it to one of the other bidders, or re-sell it on e-bay.

The 7541 doesn't interest me much being a dual plane street manifold but at least I know it fits... I compared the pictures to a hot air manifold that I have laying around and it seems to look the same. We all know how that goes though! LOL

The 7542 which has been discontinued is like the 7541 in that it may be ported to fit either low or high port heads. I've used it to run 12.7's at 105. The 7541 in a single plane as well, just a little lower, with a more factory type t'stat housing and removable carb adaptor. Both are excellent pieces. GB

Back