You can type here any text you want

Previous owner and "competition shortblock"

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Mikes86Buick

Hello,
so i've had my turbo buick for just a few months and i found some old reciepts in the glove box. They're from " Conley's performance plus" in the Houston area. The shop is long gone but in 2004 someone treated my car to around 6,000 bucks in maintenance. The biggest charge was for a " competition short block" to the tune of 2945.00. I tried calling the previous owner to inquire about the work done but it was the owner before him and the phone numbers on the reciepts are no longer in service. My question is, how can i identify this engine? do aftermarket engines have any defining numbers or marks? I guess half the challenge of owning a used car is trying to figure out what the other guy did!

CPP's competition shortblock is a "balanced & blueprinted" rebuilt stock block (probably the car's original engine if it was rebuildable) that normally has forged pistons, billet caps on the center mains & a cam (they had several to choose from)... Lawrence's son Chris still visits the board so if you try a post in the TX section I bet he'll get back to you with more detail about what exactly went into these.

BTW, I have a Conley rebuilt engine in my T & it's been great.

Hello,
so i've had my turbo buick for just a few months and i found some old reciepts in the glove box. They're from " Conley's performance plus" in the Houston area. The shop is long gone but in 2004 someone treated my car to around 6,000 bucks in maintenance. The biggest charge was for a " competition short block" to the tune of 2945.00. I tried calling the previous owner to inquire about the work done but it was the owner before him and the phone numbers on the reciepts are no longer in service. My question is, how can i identify this engine? do aftermarket engines have any defining numbers or marks? I guess half the challenge of owning a used car is trying to figure out what the other guy did!

Mike,

Who was the pevious owner? I might be able to help you out. Like Doug said, A comp short block is a .030 over balanced & blueprinted short block with forged pistons. New Double Roller timing chain, New High Volume Front cover, New Cam & lifters & the crank will be a STD/STD or .010/.010 bearings. But if you give the previous owners name I will be able to give you a lot more info :smile:

Chris Conley

Hey Chris,
the name on the receipts is " Phillip Marshal". the date is 7/13/04 and an invoice number of 4224. Thanks for the help

Hey Chris,
the name on the receipts is " Phillip Marshal". the date is 7/13/04 and an invoice number of 4224. Thanks for the help

I remember him. Very nice young couple. That was a Comp short block like I described in my 1st post. But nothing else special. (no steel caps,girdle, or head work.) Hope this helps,

CHris

Back