PTC 9.5" converter mounting to aftermarket flexplate

87geeinn

Buick and AMG pilot
Tip for anyone who might be installing a PTC 9.5" non-lock converter to a flexplate other than the stock one: The PTC unit uses a different set of mounting holes on the flexplate than most other converters...and uses larger/longer bolts. If you aren't using the stock flexplate, which has large mounting holes and should mount up just fine, do yourself a favor a remove the flexplate from the crank and check the lineup with the converter OFF of the car.

In my case, I have an aftermarket neutral balance flexplate on an internally balanced engine. This flexplate has smaller pre-drilled mounting holes compared to my stocker. I removed the flexplate and hogged the holes out just big enough for the new bolts to pass through and called it good. Boy was I pissed at myself when I had the trans bolted to the engine and realized that the holes needed to be hogged out a little more to get some wiggle room for them all to line up and start into the converter mounting tabs. Took an extra 30 minutes or so with the Dremel tool to get it right. My own damned fault.

All said and done, I really like the feel of the PTC even when compared to a 9" non-lock Art Carr.