You can type here any text you want

Pushrod/lifter refresh help

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87GNT

Hello-

I am in the middle of refreshing my stock 87 GN with 88k miles on stock motor. Since I plan to replace the valve springs and stem seals I figured I would also refresh the pushrods and lifters.

Can someone tell me whats the best out there Melling, OEM etc....??

Thanks

If your cam isn't flat DO NOT mess with the lifters.

get a new GM timing set and change that along with the oil pickup and do my oiling mods while the front cover is off.

get a new GM timing set and change that along with the oil pickup and do my oiling mods while the front cover is off.

So the cam doesnt appear to be

Hello Earl-

How do I verify that the cam is not flat? You stated to do oiling mods while the front is off...Ok now what are these "oiling mods" ? Sorry 8 months new to TT's and I am drinking out of a fire hose.....

Also, should I leave the pushrods alone or replace those?

If they're the ring length and not bent I see no reason to replace them. Might not be a bad idea to replace the plastic rocker buttons though.

I'm sure someone can point you to my oil pump link. I don't have it bookmarked.

So if I were to change my timing chain I should pull my cam out just to see if it has flat spots? Can I just pull it out or will lifters fall out?

In order to pull the cam, you also have to remove the valve covers, rockers/shafts, pushrods, intake manifold ( disconnecting the fuel lines, vacuum lines, removing the coil pack and module, etc etc) Its not THAT simple to do a cam and lifters

If your cam was flat, you'd know it. It would run poorly and the grit from the lobes would take out your engine, turbo and oil cooler. Unless you're going to upgrade to a roller, I wouldn't touch it.

If your cam was flat, you'd know it. It would run poorly and the grit from the lobes would take out your engine, turbo and oil cooler. Unless you're going to upgrade to a roller, I wouldn't touch it.

Earl- I sent you a PM.

So if the cam was flat that would mean the rocker to that particular flat lobe would not lift as the rest of the rockers is that correct or ? Also, if I had a flat cam/lobe would it show up during a compression test? The reason I ask is because i performed one and all 6 cylinders were at 150lbs.

If it were flat, yes, the rocker would not move as much as the others. A compression test isn't a true 100'% test to diagnose a flat cam.

IF you had a flat cam, the symptoms would be metal flake oil out of an engine that has ground itself to bits and took out the turbo and oil cooler with it.

Back