You can type here any text you want

Question about iPod connection

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Saladin45

There is a darkside
With head units that connect to Mp3 players, it generally means iPod's, right? Does anyone know if you can connect things like the Microsoft Zune and other types of Mp3 players like those to the Head units?

Also, do cell phones with Mp3 capabilities connect also? I've been wondering about this because I am thinking about getting one of those Chocolate phones and was wondering if I could kill 2 birds (Or three) with one stone by purchasing the phone and just hooking it straight into the car's audio system, while having a cell phone capability too.

Has anybody ever tried this and been successful?

There are many types of connections on head units, USB, aux. inputs usually line level, and IPOD specific which can be from the docking connector and/or USB also, and perhaps some that take headphone output levels from any of those devices which is quasi-line level but usually lower fidelity.

You need to see first what adaptors and cords and data/sound outputs the Chocolate has available for accessories, interfacing and docking, then try to match it up with a head unit that would be compatible.

And of course finding someone who has done it successfully would be a lot easier than getting that information from all the various sources. ;)

I have the chocolate and tried to use it as the MP3 in the car, and hated it. Sure you can load over 200 songs on a 1gb card, but the shuffle feature on the phone will play the same song twice before going thru the whole list, and the volume level isn't what it should be, plus it kills the battery rather quickly. Most aftermarket decks will have an "aux" line in adapter to use a headphone jack so you can use the Zune, just be sure to order a line in adapter rather than the iPod specific adapter. Most will provide an RCA type input and you have to buy the headphone to RCA adapter cord. You'll be much happier running a dedicated MP3 player, rather than using the chocolate.

I sold cell phones for almost 2 years and am now a car audio installer. I can tell you that mp3 players on cell phones are horrible and annoying, not to mention the Chocolate is probably one of the worst phones you can buy. You may want to look into a stereo that can play USB thumb drives. I just got a Clarion (DXZ575USB) that does it. The interface isn't the best but it is all black and matches the dash pretty nicely. I didn't want the flashy blue lights that Pioneer had and I didn't like the new blue/red theme that Alpine has. Some other companies also make decks that play USB drives but I wouldn't trust anything that isn't Alpine, Eclipse, Pioneer or Clarion.

I've actually found one that's pretty nice.

It's the Alpine CDE 9852.

Has iPod capabilities (Need the cord though) and runs CD's of all types. Fits both my current car (1991 Saturn SL) and will fit a Grand National. Currently in my Saturn I have no head unit (well, I do, but the faceplate is missing) and I'm thinking that since I won't have my GN for at least a good 4 months while I'm saving, I might as well throw something in the Saturn that'll pass onto the GN and be a-ok, eh?

What do y'all think of that plan?

I was also thinking about going for the USB connection. But I couldn't find any that were compatible with both the Saturn and the GN. As I said before, when I get my GN I just wanna swap the head unit (If that is, the GN I get needs a head unit or I just wanna swap) into it from the Saturn.

Oh and, I've totally thrown out the window the cell phone thing. It just doesn't seem to be worth it from what you guys are saying. I also asked a few people from my school and they were telling me that cell phone mp3's and the chocolate in specific really suck 'eggs' as one person put it.

Oh and, when installing a head unit, how does one go about it? You just slid it in there or do you have to connect wires, etc?

look for bluetooth capable stereos/audio devices. this is the best because no "hardwiring" involved.the stereo and device sends media wirelessly. HTH

Gary
CARRTUNZ

Hrm. That'd be very interesting to see how that would work.
What type of wireless media devices are there out that would be able to do that?
(Outside of cell phones)

Just remember coming out of a headphone jack while retaining the volume control feature on the MP3 or IPOD will give you lower fidelity (freq. response and noise) than a true docking connector (IPOD0 will give you.

I made an IPOD player out of a computer subwoofer and walkman small powered speakers and it is very noticeable the fidelity when using a headphone cord versus the docking cord and inline volume control I made.

I'd want the best fidelity and not be worried about the display or track information but you probably get all that for free with a true IPOD docking cord and perhaps some of the MP3 ones.

The fidelity is low enough already on MP3's and other codecs used by portables, don't make it any worse out of a headphone jack if you can help it. :)

It would be interesting to see the fidelity available with bluetooth's bandwidth, anybody got links to the technical specs.? :confused:

Blue tooth is generally a low bandwidth short wave radio so it isn't much good for music unless you have the A2D profile or whatever. Honestly at this point I don't think its developed enough for high quality music without loss. I'd just go with a Ipod, USB or aux-in capable headunit.

As far as wiring a headunit, there's a few things you can do. You can buy a harness for GMs (pre-87 parts numbers: Metra 70-1677-1 or the 80-1677-1 and cut off the univerisal end) and wire that to the harness that comes with whatever stereo you buy. You can connect the wires using butt connectors but I prefer to solder and tape. Tape off any wires that don't have a matching colored wire on the other harness. The other option (easier too) is just to go to Circuit City and get two harnesses there that will plug into each other without having to wire anything up. You'd need a Metra 80-1677-1 and the corresponding harness to whatever brand stereo you're buying. But if you're buying a new stereo anyway, Circuit City has free install on stereo's over $99. You'll have to buy a dash kit (for the GN Metra 99-4544) and the two harnesses anyway but the labor is free at least. Best Buy does something similar but they don't have the turbo harnesses that Circuit City has.

Your Saturn won't have the same plug your GN has, but if you get the harnesses from Circuit you can just buy the GN side later.

If you buy them with the free install its like $20 for the first one and should be like $6.99 for the second. Dash kit is $20 or $21 as well.

if you buy the stuff off of crutchfield.com they give you relaly good instructions you can also get all the harness off of them aswell. What i did with my apline that i bought like 3 years ago was wire up the car i had it in. Then when i bought another car I wired up that car and just bought an additional alpine harness that plugs into the back. That way depending on what season it was all I had to do was unplug the wires from the back of the deck, and then plug it into the other car. In all it takes about 30-45 minutes based upon your crimping skills.

Back