Radiator Fan Running After Shutting Off Car

Ken Bak

Hey Guys,
I have a stock 1986 T-Type, and I'm the original owner. My radiator fan has always run for about a minute or so after I shut the car off. That is to say, it's always run until I had to replace my radiator. I changed my stock radiator to a cold case radiator. I only changed my radiator ... I'm still using my stock fan. My fan runs when my car is running, but my fan doesn't run when I shut the car off. I'm not sure if it's no longer running because I changed to the cold case radiator, or because I have a bad relay or something else. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? It seems to me that the fan should still run, even after changing to the cold case radiator. I'm concerned I have a bad relay or something.

Hopefully you unplugged that big fan delay relay or it stopped working. I would unplug it, seal the connector so it doesn’t short out on anything and be glad it didn’t need to be removed because it came on in the middle of the night and killed your battery. If your fans work properly with the car running you are fine but I would still get that relay gone. If it’s in good shape find a nice box in the garage for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YES big relay closest to driver side fire wall is the delay relay and is a horrible design flaw it can drain your battery or burn your house down it is not sealed very well and will go bad unplug and as earl would say throw it into the woods as far as you can LOL
tape up connector and tuck away
also b careful the temp sender on top of intake manifold is not bad just under throttle cable and tv cable is not bad as this will cause fan to run as well

Most likely the fan isn't running at key-off due to the new radiator. The delay relay will only run the fan if at key-off the fan was running at high speed. If it was off or at the low speed, the delay relay won't run the fan.

As others posted it is a good idea to unplug the delay relay.

RemoveBeforeFlight