You can type here any text you want

Radiator troubleshooting

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SyHopeful

I'm your huckleberry.
Alright guys, here's a chance to help a young noob like myself :)

Recently, once the GN is warmed up and I've been driving, I've noticed small amounts of steam coming out of the grill, even in dry weather. Today I inspected the front side, and noticed that there seemed to be a small leak somewhere. I looked over, under, around, and through everything as best I could without taking anything off/apart, but couldn't seem to locate a leak. I did notice that it dripped at both sides of the radiator, maybe something to do with the hoses or endcaps?

I did make a potentially dum-dum move by using the Dexron coolant (the red stuff) without flushing the old, regular green stuff out. In my defense, I was only going by what seemed to be in the resevoir, but the coolant that is dripping is most decidedly green. The car shows no signs of over heating...idles fine when warmed up, heater blows hot, no temp light at all. *sigh* what I'd give for an actual temp gauge.

I intend to do a complete flush soon, should I just add some of that stop-leak crap and hope that works? The leak is very small and nothing to be alarmed about...yet.

Ideas/suggestions?

All I can say is that these radiators are EXTREMELY difficult to come by. They have coolant, tranny cooler and oil cooler built in. I don't think I'd use stop leak or anything. If this isn't your only car I'd pull the radiator and get it fixed. I had to get mine done recently and it didn't cost too much. Mine had a bolt for the electric fan that was a liitle too long rub a pin hole in one of the coolant tubes. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but just my 2 cents. I think boostedmaxpsi could let you know about availability and repair pricing since he had to have his fixed more recently than I did.

ADAM

Originally posted by HYBRIDT
Probably not what you wanted to hear, but just my 2 cents.

ADAM

No kidding! But thanks, I do appreciate the input. :)

I echo Adam's comment on "do not flush" your radiator. Look around the neck of the radiator their prone to cracking. The tell tell sign will be dried coolant stains down the side of the radiator.

In all I would just pull and have it repaired. These things are hard to replace but semi-cheap to have pressure tested and soldered up.

HTH
Frank

Well, looks like the leak is coming from the neck that the fill cap attaches to, like it's cracked around the edge where it meets the endtake.

Possible to be welded? If not, what are my options? JB Weld? lol ghetto.

Also, changed the oil today. Mobil 1 5w-30, baby!

(remember I live in Alaska, it's about the time of year where we switch to a lighter weight).

Originally posted by SyHopeful
Well, looks like the leak is coming from the neck that the fill cap attaches to, like it's cracked around the edge where it meets the endtake.

Well we nailed that one didn't we. Take it out and take it to a radiator shop for repair.

Be carful taking out the radiator the cores are easy to pierce when removing.

Frank

Well, radiator is fixed. The core was pretty corroded so the shop just recored it.

Next up is that damn crack in the driver side header. Any tips/tricks on removing those? Should I expect to have to get something helicoiled?

What about a gasket?

Hi

Let me know how you do getting the D/S header off. I need to get mine off. I think the best bet would be an impact wrench because on those studs, it would be better to "shock" them off rather than "gorilla torque" them off.

I do have 1 advantage, since my valve cover leak like a whooer, the studs are well lubed.

I think I am going to use the copper goo by permatex for a gasket. You might want to get it checked to see if it is square and not warped.

Originally posted by wlaukaitis
Hi

Let me know how you do getting the D/S header off. I need to get mine off. I think the best bet would be an impact wrench because on those studs, it would be better to "shock" them off rather than "gorilla torque" them off.

I do have 1 advantage, since my valve cover leak like a whooer, the studs are well lubed.

I think I am going to use the copper goo by permatex for a gasket. You might want to get it checked to see if it is square and not warped.

I'm probably gonna go the "huge friggin cheater bar" route, since I'm scared of busting one of the studs off in the head and having to get it drilled out or something. More work than I want, so I'll probably just soak them overnight in some screw-loose and have at 'em.

Good call on the squareness, and I've heard different stories on what to use for a gasket. Gonna have to figure that out before I do the job.

Back