Really weird scan tool problem.

Tim Riecks 6

Weirdest thing I've seen in a while.
When I hook up the Auto X-Ray to the GN it works fine until I get up to about 40+mph. All of a sudden it starts showing erratic nonsensical data, and then it basically stops monitoring. If I try to start monitoring again with it, it just won't do it.
In order to trace down the problem somewhat I figured I'd do some testing.
First I started monitoring with the scan tool. Once I got up to around 45+ on the highway I got the usual nonsensical data. I put the car in neutral and watched as the scantool got normal good readings back. When I shifted back into OD it went wacky again and then stopped monitoring like it usually does.
Then I tried going along at 35 in town. Data was good. Then I locked the TCC and got the weird data. As soon as I unlocked the TCC all was good again.
Next I was stopped and had the car in neutral. Got the scan tool going and all was good. Pressed the brake pedal down and kept it pressed- wacky data again. When I let off the brake it returned to being good.
I'm thinking it's a ground. That's why I did the tests I mentioned (grounding the TCC and pressing the brake (that grounds too doesn't it??). I just wanted some opinions on my theory and some pointers as to where to look.
As a follow up test I was thinking of splicing in a wire to the ground terminal on the ALDL and grounding it at another point just to see if that would cure it.
Yes, I could just use the Direct Scan, but I hate it when something is not working properly. Even if I'd never use the scan tool again I'd still want this problem cured. I'm just picky that way I guess.
Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!