You can type here any text you want

Rear Axle Swaps

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

UNGN

Can't Re- Member
I'm thinking seriously about a TTA for Open Road racing and was wondering if there is a Junkyard swap (like from a V8 GTA) for a 2.73:1 rear axle?

I really need to be able to hit 140-145 in drive in order to be competitive. I won't be running too sticky of tire so it doesn't have to be able to withstand a 10 psi launch.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what might work?

Thanks in advance!

My hardtop TTA was raced in the silver state a while back and had 2.77 gears swapped into the stock rear. The 2.77 9 bolt was a factory rear in alot of Camaro's and Trans Am's and shouldnt be that hard to find.

HTH,
Steve

When I was searching for a 9 bolt for my car, I saw a lot of 9 bolt rearends with the 2.77 gears for sale. If I were in your shoes, I would watch eBay, www.thirdgen.org and some of the other F-body boards for a 9 bolt carrier and a ring and pinion and swap them into your current housing. The used 2 series gears and carriers typically sell cheap because most guys upgrade to the 3 series.

Thanks for the help!

I think the plan would be just to swap the entire rear, less brakes. That way, it's an easy change out and we can swap back and forth, without having to go into either axle. It appears the going rate for a 2.77 posi is around $300 which looks good to me.

Now I just need to see whats available in roll bars/cages and determine what we'd need in that regard.

Thanks again.

Back