You can type here any text you want

rear main seal

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Johnboy

I just took my rear main seal out the other day and ready to put a new one in, but have a few questions. I know this topic has been discussed many times before but the search engine is not working on my computer right now. I've read before that the cork oil pan gasket is the best to use, but all I can find is the rubber/silicone. Where if anywhere can I get one of these? I also need to know the torq. spec for the oil pan and bearing cap?

Thanx

Oil Pan Gasket

try Kirban, He has one thicker than stock for a nice seal. #6771 @19.95. Thanks Mike D.

Johnboy said:
I've read before that the cork oil pan gasket is the best to use, but all I can find is the rubber/silicone.

I don't know who started that line but in my view the rubber is far better than the cork. With in a few heat cycles you will have to re-torque the cork and that is damned near impossible to do with out takin the motor mounts loose and lifting the motor. The best thing really is black RTV. Put a good bead around the pan and put it on, just tighten the bolts till the RTV is smashed out just a little then let it sit for at least 12 hours then come back and tighten the bolts all the way. The cork sucks big time.

I guess everybody has different experiences. This is one of those topics that is endlessly argued over. I prefer the cork. I snug it up nice and tight and never go back and re-torque. I've used them for several years, taken them off and on and I have never had one leak.

By the way, the torque spec on the main bearing cap is 100# and should be done incrementally-20,40,60,80 etc. Don't forget to pop the bubbles on the rtv with a piece of wire and let the rtv set up overnight.

The Cometic oil pan gasket is the shizit.. problem is getting your hands on one. I ordered 4 of them in Aug last year, they came in Feb this year. Its a grey composite wax material..

The rubber ones split.. been there and done that.

Razor said:
The rubber ones split.. been there and done that.
Yep, unless you don't torque them down quite all the way, and then they leak :D
I used ruber on both my cars last winter..the Gn split and had to replace with cork, now its still bone dry...the TTA still has the rubber one, but it is wet around it but not dripping...but the TTA has only been driven about 10 times since then.

Hey there John

Hey John I say just use thew rubber one , it works great and you can reuse it if a problem ever occurs. I am in the middle of a big engine project, interior project. I am replaceing everything above the block, race heads, cam,lifters,chain front cover injectors you name it and I am replacing the rug in the car the door seals window seals you name it seals. I just added the chrome trim from a Limited a few weeks back too.

Attachments

• Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 118
I went ahead and ordered the cork, wasn't much more than the rubber and mine was split when I took it off. Thanx for the replies. Car looks nice Jon.

Back