You can type here any text you want

Rebuild with mild upgrades makes no more power than stock- suggestions?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dnickle

Well, I'm not a Buick guy so I guess I should have seen this coming. I have a friend with an 82 Olds Cutlass with the 3.8L V6 with computer controlled carb and distributor. Engine needed a rebuild so he wanted to turn up the wick just a bit while we were at it. I rebuild it just like stock with the following exceptions:

1. Compression. Stock was 8.5 with heavily dished pistons. I put in a set of Hypereutectics (Federal Mogul) with much less dish that brought it up to 9.5:1 with a 30-overbore.

2. Cam. Replaced with a very mild Crane cam with 202/210* duration on a 112* LSA. I was trying for good torque, which I did not achieve.

3. Heads. Mild pocket porting just the clean up the nasty sharp edges and casting flash, etc. Installed springs designed to work with the cam.

It idles and runs beautifully- just like the stock motor did. And that's the problem- It's got nothing more than the stock configuration power-wise. I was hpoing for a substantial bump in low end torque but I got nothing.

I have timing set at 15* initial (stock setting) and I rebuilt the stock computer controlled 2bbl carb (which really had nothing wrong with it to begin with). Mixture control solenoid and TPS both work fine as does everything else on the motor- even all the smog stuff is working as the factory intended. Computer says everything is working correctly, sane readings on the O2, mixture control solenoid, etc.

My only possible point of concern is the computer controlled distributor. It doesn't have any computer-supplied advance at idle. If you rev it up in neutral you can see it stay at 15* until you get to about 1500 RPMs and then it jumps immediately WAY up to probably 35* or so- way off the top of the scale. If I unplug the distributor from the ECM the timing stays constant at 15* until you reach 1500 again and then it DROPS instantly down to about 10* and then holds constant until you bring it back to idle again. Very odd. I'm wondering if the distributor is supposed to work like this. I thought it would hold constant timing regardless of RPM if I unplugged it from the computer, like similar Chevy stuff I have worked on. Could the electronics in the distributor be shot?

I can manually bump up the initial timing to 18, 20, 22, 24* or more and the engine keeps making more and more power every time I bump it up with no apparent detonation. I can take it up so high you can't even start the engine becuase the spark is so far advanced and it still wants more, more more.

Also, wondering if this is normal for a Buick- the mixture control solenoid in the carb does not make that clicking noise when you turn the key to the run position (engine still off) like a similar Chevy application does. The solenoid is definitely working when the engine's running, but it won't click if the engine is off (unless you put the computer into diagnostick mode by jumpering the ALDL terminals- then it will click without having the engine running). Again, this is different than similar Chevy stuff I have worked on in the past, but maybe this is how it's supposed to work with Buick stuff.

Any guidance would be appreciated. I think the basic combo is sound but somethings out of whack somewhere.

Go with a Q-jet and the Edelbrock intake. Your low-end torque will greatly increase. The 4.1 intake will work too, but for low end torque go with the Edelbrock.

Duel plane intake designs work much better for low end torque. The 4.1 intake, Kenne-Bell's intake, smokey's Weiand if you can find it, and Offenhauser are all single plane design for the upper range.

You really think a change of manifold a carb will prop up bottom end torque that much? I was not expecting the 2bbl to make any real power above maybe 3000 RPMs but I thought at least it would have a good initial grunt off-idle- that's what I was shooting for.

Is the stock Buick 2bbl manifold a dual-plane design? I really couldn't tell for sure looking at it- looked more like a single plane with a semi-divided plenum. Very odd.

It would be better than the stock duel. I don't know if the duel manifold is single plain design.

But honestly, the Regal weights 2200 lbs. The V-6 can only do a marginal job of lugging this hunk of steel around. Stock horse delivered a whopping 110 HP@3800 rpm's, 190 ft torque at 1600-rpms with stock intake and Duel Jet. :rolleyes:

With the mods I have on my Regal my desktop dyno reads 158 hp@3500 rpm's. 209 ft of torque at 2000 rpm's. It has a Q-Jet, 4.1 intake, mild cam, lighly ported w/large valves, total rebuild.

With the Edelbrock and headers it brings it up to 169 hp@3500 rpm's and 250 ft of torque at 2000 RPMS. (Also, I still have the stock torque converter and haven't upped the rear gears yet.) With this light mod HP has almost double and torque is also increased.

I think I can honestly say that I will reach my goal of 200 HP with minor mods. This is about as realistic as I can get with what I have. Your set up is similer to mine. :D

Freddie- thanks for the info. I BEGGED this guy to ditch the stock tortured exhaust system for a set of headers but he didn't have the budget at that time.

I'll see if I can scrounge up a 4.1L 4bbl intake. A QJet for on top of it is no problem- I have lived and breathed QJets for 20 years. I will get a computer controlled QJet and keep the entire computer system in tact- no emission inspector's gonna know if the car ever came with a 2bbl or 4bbl from the factory around here. I looked at the Edlebrock but it says it doesn't have EGR provision which he needs to pass emissions (visual).

Originally posted by dnickle
I looked at the Edlebrock but it says it doesn't have EGR provision which he needs to pass emissions (visual).

Oops!:eek:

I forgot about that. That's the only drawback with the Edelbrock. The Kenne Bell is the only one with the EGR, but the truth is at $199.00 fogetabotit. (Too expensive).

Pacesetter headers cost about $175.00 for the N/A 231. Those are the ones I have. I think they are very good. Right now I'm working on a true duel exhaust system for this car. It will be a 2-1/4" 'H' tube balanced design.

I don't know how it will turn out performance-wise since this is a V-6. You got any ideas on how you think this will turn out? :confused:

It will untimately turn out.............. well, let's call it a learning experience and leave it at that. A mild compression, small valve pushrod motor that's only ~3/4 the displacement of a 305 Chevy V8 is not exactly going to set the world on fire no matter what you do. And considering that every damned part costs 2X what the same part would cost for a Small Block Chevy, it's not even a cost-effective way to go slow.

I think I have a solution, though. I bet if we went with a nice turbo, intercooler, a sequential multi-port EFI system and a DIS system it would make a lot more power.

A car this cool would have to have a different name........ something related to a racing series............ I'VE GOT IT!!........... We could call it the "Grand National"!

Dat's why I've concluded. :rolleyes:

It seems obvious now that Buick new this a long time ago. Forced induction is the only way to go with these babies if one wants real power. ;)

But since the street is no raceway....I can still hang with some stock sports cars. With limitations of course....(anything UNDER 200 HP stock...but unfortunatly most everything being made today is over 200 HP. :( )

Oh well...but I still love my Buick! :cool:

Back