You can type here any text you want

Replacing idler arm and centerlink

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87gninpa

I have a steering problem with my 87 T. The wheel has a good 2 inches of play in it before I get any steering response whatsoever. I replaced the steering shaft and no difference. I decided to check the front end. When holding the wheels at 9 and 3 and moving back and forth, the centerlink moves. Im assuming this is the problem. Ive decided to replace the centerlink and idler arm together, does anyone have any tips for the job? Havent done either before, but they look pretty straightforward. I know Ill need a pickle fork and a hammer to separate the joints, is there any other trick to the job?

It might be a complex problem involving tie rod ends and ball joints. I recently failed inspection due to upper ball joints, so I had them replaced. My steering is much more responsive and it too had about 2 inches of play previously. Just saying don't go laboring away at these things without knowing for sure. And get quality products, I went with MOOG.

All four ball joints are brand new, as well as tie rod ends. Only thing original are the centerlink, idler arm, and steering box. Thanks for the input though

Back