You can type here any text you want

Resistor key lost.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WARBIRD89

Faster and Faster untill
I was just wondering if there is anything I can do if I lost my resistor key, the key that starts to car with a little chip inside I believe is permanently missing, however I'm in possession of a duplicate key, but this key does not have the chip, however it will turn the cylinder, it is an exact copy of the original key but without the chip, is there any information on the car I can take to the dealership or to a locksmith, as to the transponder code, how many different resistors are there? I remember I once bypassed this system with a couple of resistors, but I can no longer find information as to the resistant values.

Thanks
Stephen

Giving the VIN to the dealer may get you the original code... else you'll need to contact a locksmith.

i forget how many different keys there were for '89 cars... if you had the original key you could measure the resistance and wire up some resistors.

There is no real easy way to do this :( I think it's too old for the dealer to look up the resistor code........but I you bring it to a GM dealer they can hook up an "Interrogator" and try the different resistance values one at a time (it plugs in under the column & simulates the key in the lock cyl). I may take a liitle time & you'll have to get the car to them, but it's the only way I know how to do it, short of replacing everything.

There are 15 different key values, and only one part number for the module(they come blank and take to the first key value they see). There is no vin number correlation to the resistor value, it was done totally at random.

You can do like V8Killer said and get it to a dealership that has an interrogator or do it yourself. It's a bit of a pain and work but I went through it with a theft recovery TTA I had a few years back and it works. I picked up a set of resistors from an alarm/remote start(or you can just look up the values online and buy the correct 15 resistors), then plugged them into the vats harness(at the bottom of the steering column)one at a time untill the car started. You have to wait about 5 minutes after putting in a wrong resistor before trying again. Of course mine ended up being a #12 so it took me over an hour to figure it out. Once you know what number take your key(the one missing the chip)and have them cut that pattern into the correct key number.

Here's a list of resistor key values:
General Motors Key Number - Value (Ohms)
1 - 392
2 - 523
3 - 681
4 - 887
5 - 1130
6 - 1470
7 - 1870
8 - 2370
9 - 3010
10 - 3740
11 - 4750
12 - 6040