You can type here any text you want

ricers vs tuners

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

boostedgm

the title is for the import crowd who we all commonly call them,americans are called hot rodders or gearheads.i ask this because i was swarmed by idiotic ricers on saturday on the right and left lane also behind me,all revin and beeping horns light turns green and i wasted my time and gas fighting these annoying bumble bee sounding slow ass eco-cars. so i pull off onto a lot where other jap crap where and some american also,and we all talked and hung out these where the tuners who maintain and know how work a car not doll it up with guages and a fart pipe and think its fast.

so my question for all of you is do you all know the difference and what is youre opinion on this.ricers are annoying,tuners have an idea and wouldnt waste there time revving next to suv's, four door cars or annything.

A whole new generation out there. And we all have our likes and dislikes. Being an old fart that grew up with 427 vettes, Camaros, Hemis (REAL Hemi's, not the new crap), Cobras, etc I tend to have the old mentality. I think of the GN as a muscle car and I hate to see the new generation get hold of one and put 18-20" rims on it. Sacreligious (sp?). Kind of like putting wire wheels on a Hemi Charger - just doesn't belong.

Most kids now days have NO idea what speed is. We had a saying "if it doesn't go fast - chrome it". Now days it's not chrome but huge wings, stickers, gauges, fart cans, etc.

the title is for the import crowd who we all commonly call them,americans are called hot rodders or gearheads.i ask this because i was swarmed by idiotic ricers on saturday on the right and left lane also behind me,all revin and beeping horns light turns green and i wasted my time and gas fighting these annoying bumble bee sounding slow ass eco-cars. so i pull off onto a lot where other jap crap where and some american also,and we all talked and hung out these where the tuners who maintain and know how work a car not doll it up with guages and a fart pipe and think its fast.

so my question for all of you is do you all know the difference and what is youre opinion on this.ricers are annoying,tuners have an idea and wouldnt waste there time revving next to suv's, four door cars or annything.

Well said, there is a difference and its easy to tell them apart :biggrin:

tl turbo its called all show no go lol. what made this worse was during the time i was there in the lot i went to barnes and knoble to look at car mags. already there was a group of 3 punk ass white boyz who there daddy gets them the parts and a mechanic installs it for them and has no idea about anything. as i pick up a few mags one says " you like dem old cars" yea i said with a tude.so they started poppin off dis and that "gangsta" was the often used word for there tuffness. so i sat them down looked at there mags of all jap crap and asked them how a turbo works,a supercharger how certain suspension mods help etc etc etc.not one had a complete answer all where morons.so i said go back to youre fantasy world of video game cars and shut the **** up.

There is a huge difference between a "tuner" and a "ricer". The way I see it, you really don't hear the tuners babbling crap. The ricers are way on the other side of the spectrum. They are all show and no go, like boostedgm said. Hell, I remember a view car shows I went to in the past that even had a trophy for them. The "show" part is far more likely to be really crappy. I haven't figured out if that is part of the style or what.

For example, just this past weekend I was in an Advance-O'rielly-Zone picking up some odds and ends for the '90 Taurus I'm driving now (gas mileage, saving money for the Buick). There were two of them there, one was an employee, well, he had the shirt on anyway. Holy S**T!! Listening to them was literally giving me a headache and a hole was developing in my tongue! I did learn that you can get 15-25 hp by taking off the belt from the a/c!! Also, if you get a "light-weight" sound system it will give you a gain of about 10-15 hp!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, they went out in the parking lot and pissed off the bees in their "cars" while I was changing out the wiper-blades on my car. Another employee came out to see if I needed help, I respectfully declined. He was in his mid 40's and made some comment about the two little tools. I mentioned that I have beaten a guy like them in the Taurus. He got a chuckle out of that. Ends up he actually knows about the 60's-70's muscle. He must be a saint putting up with that crap on a daily basis.

the way i see it, car guys are car guys, no matter what they drive. i have friends who drive hondas that know more than I do about engine building and tuning, and they have some pretty fast cars.

conversely, idiots who know nothing about cars and do really stupid things to them aren't limited to imports. I'm sure we have all run into the daddy's boy who has a nice new corvette or mustang or something and thinks he is the $hit (they are really fun to smoke because they get really pissed).

Of course most of these idiots are driving imports these days because that is kind of what's cool in their dumbass culture (the same culture that thinks those goofy flat-billed hats, wierd print t-shirts, and sagging pants are an awesome fashion statement, and actually enjoy the crappy-ass music that's "cool" nowadays)... but many of them drive domestics, too. I've seen stuff done to an f-body that would probably put the fugliest civic you've ever seen to shame.

the good news is that a lot of the time, these kids eventually grow up and learn about real performance, and lose their immature ideas of what looks good on a car. Much of the time, this is after they have some contact with actual car guys and see what a real car is capable of... usually by getting their doors blown off (which is why i don't have too much of a problem with wasting gas on smoking slow-ass ricers who try to step up... because i see it as teaching kids a valuable lesson ;) ).

In fact, I think a lot of us probably got into cars in this same way. I know I did -- back when I was 16 and 17, i thought my 94 lumina with a glass pack and a big bow-tie sticker in the back window (illuminated by a blue neon) was pretty badass because it could smoke all my buddies' hondas and pickup trucks and stuff. But after getting smoked by actual fast cars and meeting people who actually know about performance and seeing cars that actually look good and clean, I was able to mature into a real bona-fide car guy.

Actually, the fact that I am into turbo buicks today is partly due to my dumb-ass past -- that damn lumina is what first got me into GM v-6 performance, and after messing around with 60 degree v-6s and then 3800 superchargeds, fate eventually led me to the ultimate six banger, the good ol lc-2.

its true,i really hate it when they ride out first gear and nail and slow down in gear like they did something....ooooooooohhhhhh scarry hold on now.anyone chime on this one. the newest ricer trend i see is to install tow bars on either the front,rear or both bumpers .........wtf. they know they never been to a track or there car is way to 16 to 17 seciond slow.and the one who has a daddy bought car is a secret ricer he doesnt know anything either.

Definately a difference between the two. I think Ricers can be any type of car not just imports. I built and helped build some imports back before they got really big. My car for example was an 89 Honda CRX with a B16 engine swap and a home brew turbo kit and guess what, it didnt have a fart can imagine that!. No bodykit, no neons, no bull, just a nice clean sleeper. I think kids saw cars like ours smoking mustangs and the like and just thought "hey my mom drives a civic I can put some stickers on it and it will be fast as hell" lol. I and the guys I knew started with some automotive knowledge and these kids now a days usually have none. Then the import scene took off and you see riced out crap everywhere, but every now and then you run in to a group of well built imports like we started back in the day and those are your tuners.

I always knew though that I could not hang with the big dog muscle out there though. I have always been around muscle cars and helped my dad build them so I knew what most were capable of. I just built a few imports at the time because that is what some of my friends go into and I thought it was kinda cool having a 1.6 liter engine outrunning 5.0s lol. We always maintained respect for the powerful cars out there though and did not act like asses, that is why we were the only group of imports that were able to hangout at the local spot where all the big timers ran.

I sold everything and went into the service and eventually went back to where my heart was, RWD muscle, I think I also grew up a little! I ended up with a GN, probably the same reason as 50% of us on here, the story usually starts with "this black evil looking 80 something car pulled up along side me at a light...." lol.

In between though I had a 2004 SRT4. That was actually a really nice and fun car to drive and was easy to make big power with for very little, just like a GN. But I couldnt stand the 460 ft/lbs of torque with FWD, not fun spinning through third gear as a "slower car" pulls away because they have traction. And talk about no respect, The muscle car guys thought it was a riced out import and the import guys hated it because it was an american four banger neon the put fear into their hearts lol

its true,i really hate it when they ride out first gear and nail and slow down in gear like they did something....ooooooooohhhhhh scarry hold on now.

so true man! i live on the corner of my dorm at school at the busiest intersection on campus and i hear that stuff all day!!!:mad:

" you like dem old cars" yea i said with a tude.so they started poppin off dis and that "gangsta" was the often used word for there tuffness.

wow, i got a good laugh outta that:biggrin:

Back in the mid-late 70's in San Jose, CA, my older brother had a 72 Toyota Corolla that was way ahead of it's time. It was turbo charged and totally built by a guy named Terry Pfaff. It was canary yellow and had fender flairs and a front air dam spoiler that were all custom fab'd and molded to the body....none of those cheezy looking bolt on flairs.

That little car was a rocket. I rode shot gun many a time while he took down muscle car after muscle car.

Terry also built a turbo charged Datsun pick up truck back then. It was pretty nice also.

Terry was definitely a tuner.

they learn the hard way

3 years ago a co-worker had a honda crx and had the nerve to call me out to race in my Gn ! he had the B-R-U , "basic ricer upgrade" = decals & farter and thought he had something, i told him if you beat my camaro ss(2001) then ill bring out the buick, " i can race a camaro anytime but i wanna race that grandma national " . im starting to get :mad: cause he kept talking sh!t for days until i brought the GN to work and when i finally told him i got the GN outside, where do you want me to kick your ass at ? he got quiet all of a sudden :eek: we didnt race, but i could of whooped his ass with my mailtruck :p . 2 weeks later i see him leaving from work and i jumped in my SS and went after him :mad: , passed him and left him behind, we get to a stop light and i said you still want to race the GN ? its way faster than this so imagine what it'll do to your black & decker motorized car, nahh no thanks , i was just bluffing :frown: , i said good, dont bring a plastic knife to a gun fight :D . they like learning the hard way.

Tuners-I think tuners are a different breed. Whether you like what they are working on or not you have to respect them. The fact that they are getting 500hp out of these little EVO's, WRX's, and turbo'd honda's. They spend just as much time and money on thier cars as we do. What some of these guys are doing is incredible. Just because I am really not into the kind of car they have doesn't mean I am not into seeing a 4 cylinder on 30lbs making 500 hp!!:eek: It's cool and I have the upmost respect for them. If you give them a chance check some of them out. I have a kid here in town I got to talking with one night while we were out looking for some fun on the street. He has about a 91 or 92 Toyota MR2 on 25lbs making 430hp that runs high tens.:biggrin: Whats not cool about that???:confused: He'll stop by the house on the occassion and have a beer just check out what I have going on with the Buick. If you give some of these guys a chance you'll see they are extremely knowledgable. Pop your hood for one of them, and ask them to pop thier hood. What you'll find is ussually quite similar, an over achieving small engine, Turbo, and Alky. Lots of them know about or have heard about Turbo Buicks, and they will treat you like a god. You have the "Holy Grail" so to speak of turbocharged cars! They will eat it up, ask you all sorts of questions, and are extremely interested in our cars. ;) I have no problems with them at all, and they have really made me rethink what my next purchase may be.

Ricers-We all know what they are. Stickers, fart cans, gauges out the a$$. All show no go. Wouldn't stop to help one if in need. If you truly look you can tell withing the first 10 secs!

Our hobby has changed quite abit! We are all car guys if we admit it or not. I have embraced the "Tuners". I promise if you take the time to look at some of what they are doing it is incredible.

Tuners-I think tuners are a different breed. Whether you like what they are working on or not you have to respect them. The fact that they are getting 500hp out of these little EVO's, WRX's, and turbo'd honda's. They spend just as much time and money on thier cars as we do. What some of these guys are doing is incredible. Just because I am really not into the kind of car they have doesn't mean I am not into seeing a 4 cylinder on 30lbs making 500 hp!!:eek: It's cool and I have the upmost respect for them. If you give them a chance check some of them out. I have a kid here in town I got to talking with one night while we were out looking for some fun on the street. He has about a 91 or 92 Toyota MR2 on 25lbs making 430hp that runs high tens.:biggrin: Whats not cool about that???:confused: He'll stop by the house on the occassion and have a beer just check out what I have going on with the Buick. If you give some of these guys a chance you'll see they are extremely knowledgable. Pop your hood for one of them, and ask them to pop thier hood. What you'll find is ussually quite similar, an over achieving small engine, Turbo, and Alky. Lots of them know about or have heard about Turbo Buicks, and they will treat you like a god. You have the "Holy Grail" so to speak of turbocharged cars! They will eat it up, ask you all sorts of questions, and are extremely interested in our cars. ;) I have no problems with them at all, and they have really made me rethink what my next purchase may be.

Ricers-We all know what they are. Stickers, fart cans, gauges out the a$$. All show no go. Wouldn't stop to help one if in need. If you truly look you can tell withing the first 10 secs!

Our hobby has changed quite abit! We are all car guys if we admit it or not. I have embraced the "Tuners". I promise if you take the time to look at some of what they are doing it is incredible.

Excellent post...I agree 100%.

Back