You can type here any text you want

RJC Power Plate

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DaJoker

DUMB QUESTION MEMBER
I purchased the RJC Power Plate for my TTA and a friend of mine, who is old school and has a 12 second t-type, read me the riot act for buying this part. After reading a story about a 25k car that leaned a cylinder out while drag racing which resulted in a 5 to 7k repair i thought it was extra insurance that this doesn't happen to me. Help me out!!!!!!Any body had some good experience with this part. PS I got it from John's Performance. Thanks ....

Kma697 said:
I purchased the RJC Power Plate for my TTA and a friend of mine, who is old school and has a 12 second t-type, read me the riot act for buying this part. After reading a story about a 25k car that leaned a cylinder out while drag racing which resulted in a 5 to 7k repair i thought it was extra insurance that this doesn't happen to me. Help me out!!!!!!Any body had some good experience with this part. PS I got it from John's Performance. Thanks ....

*****I guess old school is ok as long as he doesn't also tell you to take off the fuel injection system, and replace it all with a Holley 650 double-pumper carb! :)

Bottom line is that there are many people running the power plate, and it is a well tested part. It is rare for anyone to have a problem with it, or think it was not money well spent. Do a search.

When I put mine on, I could run a bit more boost with less to no knock retard over the stock setup.

I'm sure your friend with the 12 sec t-type means well, but he must not know much about what the power plate does, nor how and why it was developed for our cars.

Billy
Montgomery Village, MD

Yes old school is not a bad thing.. maybe i should have phrased it better as closed minded... only looking at what was done 7 years ago with turbo cars vs what is done now.

Is it HIS car or YOURS?....Why do you feel like you need to please him? ;)

The majority of Knowledgable LC2 owners today use the power plate....For the reasons you cited. In the view of most of us, its a good decision.

Look at the modifications to the cars in the TTA FAQ List, almost all of them use the power plate. :)

Our upper plenum design pretty much sucks. There is performance to be gained by using one of the many upper plenum fixes available. I'm not talking about picking up .2 on a 12.9 car... but if you are say, trying to run 11.50's@118+ with 36# injectors, using an unmodified upper plenum, you are asking for trouble.

Is the upper plenum design on the TTA motor different then the TR? PS lburou -i was looking for some ammo to use again if needed... his argument was that if your plugs dont show being lean (on the back side) then why spend money on the plate. I am by no means a mechanic and had no real answer than what i had read about it. But the plate is going on because I think it will only help!

Kma697 said:
....Snip....PS, lburou -i was looking for some ammo to use again if needed... his argument was that if your plugs dont show being lean (on the back side) then why spend money on the plate. I am by no means a mechanic and had no real answer than what i had read about it. But the plate is going on because I think it will only help!

I think the "Ammo" you will find in the FAQ LIst is all you'll need. We have people driving TTA's in the low 11's through 12.7 using Power plates. In my mind it makes sense for engine longevity too. You'll run more boost before detonation, what else do you need to know? ;)

:)

lburou said:
I think the "Ammo" you will find in the FAQ LIst is all you'll need. We have people driving TTA's in the low 11's through 12.7 using Power plates. In my mind it makes sense for engine longevity too. You'll run more boost before detonation, what else do you need to know? ;)

:)

and there are LOTs of 11 sec TTA that don't have it :eek: :rolleyes:

Grumpy said:
and there are LOTs of 11 sec TTA that don't have it :eek: :rolleyes:
P.S. We should note here in the thread about the power plate that the idea of the power plate is controversial as a discussion of religion or politics....Each side is pretty polarized :cool:

I see why your name is Grumpy! You and my friend would probably get along well.....but then again maybe not! Grumpy if you read this do you have any pictures of the pipes you sell for the TTA's.

There has been actual proof of EGT equalization, tons of people have been able to pick up some tune, and just about everybody has experienced a better idle. Tell old school to go play with his TPS-TEC, 7th injector, and ram air. I am sure you did a search. There are more pages on this board about the Power Plate than there are about anything else probably. If you have it, put it on, keep track of your before and after tune, and see what happens. If you can run another pound or two of boost and get a better idle, cool. If nothing I am sure somebody will buy it from you.

For all of the pros/cons and different opinions on the powerplate, I think it's one of the few parts you can put on and try easily and inexpensively. If it works for you, great and if not, there are plenty of others who will buy it.

I run 'em with my 70mm tb, but if I had a stock plenum I'd run one for sure....

Back