You can type here any text you want

Signs of a worn out prop valve

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

meanchicken

gallo vicioso
I'm still running with an original prop valve. It's kinda rusty, but I don't want to replace it if it's still functioning OK.
How will I know when it's going bad?

One reason I ask is I am going through front pads pretty quick. I do drive the car a lot (50+ miles daily) and I drive it like I stole it, but I'm going through pads every few months....twice they wore so fast towards the end, that I was into the rotors before I could get the car home, so I'm on my 2nd set of rotors in a year.
The first time I got into the rotors it was from the inside pads on both sides and the 2nd time it was from the outside pads on both sides.

I replaced the Calipers in early 2008.

did you

replace the flexible lines? they break down internally and hold pressure on the caliper. Jack your front end up and see if the tire spins freely of if it has a lot of drag on it. Hope this helps.

Yup. I replaced the flexible brake lines last year when I replaced the calipers on the GN. I know what you're talking aout tho'. Before I redid the front brakes and suspension on my Camaro, the driver side rubber flex line check valved on me and locked the driver side front wheel up a bit. I had to let it set for a little while so I could get the car rolling normally again.

Brake fluid has been changed out twice since I replaced the calipers also.

Tonight I inspected the front pads because I kept hearing squeeling even tho' I put new pads and rotors on a couple months ago.
Passenger side is wearing normally.
Drivers side outer pad is normal, but the inner pad is wearing at a much faster rate than the passenger side inner pad. I also see more brake dust on the drivers wheel than passenger wheel.
I cleaned and regreased the caliper pins and put it back together, but in a few weeks I'm pretty sure I'll be through that inner pad.

So back to my original question.
How do you know if the prop valve has gone bad?

Are your back brakes adjusted correctly? I dont think prop valves go bad to often, sometimes they get hung up a little.

When you hit the brakes going about 50 mph does the front of the car do a nose dive? Do you do alot of power braking? Rear drums could be glazed. I think its just out of adjustment.

Does your car pull to the left when you brake hard??

Are your back brakes adjusted correctly? I dont think prop valves go bad to often, sometimes they get hung up a little.

When you hit the brakes going about 50 mph does the front of the car do a nose dive? Do you do alot of power braking? Rear drums could be glazed. I think its just out of adjustment.

Actually....it does seem to nose dive a bit when I hit the brakes.

I thought the back brakes are self adjusting....:confused:
How do I check to see if they are adjusted right?
I rebuilt the back brakes last year too.

Nope...I never power brake.....my tires blow off wihtout doing it.:D

When they go they just rust and leak air into the system.

If the thing doesn't look bad it probably isn't. :)

Mine have been steel on both cars for 22 years now with no major issues and only minor rusting, one car driven all winter.

IF you decide to change it out and go brass vs. the original steel make sure all the lines that go into the thing are free and removeable.

Otherwise have a replacement set of stainless lines on hand since you will probably twist off one or two in the process. :eek: :(

When they go they just rust and leak air into the system.

If the thing doesn't look bad it probably isn't. :)

Mine have been steel on both cars for 22 years now with no major issues and only minor rusting, one car driven all winter.

IF you decide to change it out and go brass vs. the original steel make sure all the lines that go into the thing are free and removeable.

Otherwise have a replacement set of stainless lines on hand since you will probably twist off one or two in the process. :eek: :(

Yup...If I go after it, I'll soak the thing for a few weeks with thread penetrant before I go and wrench on it.

Should the need arise, who sells quality pre-bent brake lines?

i dont mean to hijack but my car does pull to the side when i brake hard
also i still have the steel valve... is this possibly the cause?

Classic Tube in NY state has what you need. :cool:

Complete set of stainless lines is around $180 plus shipping.

Some vendors stock the Classic line but make sure you get classic and not inline tube crap.

3 weeks probably to get them direct from Classic.

G body or perhaps Jack Cotton will have them in stock.

Just make sure they are CLASSIC TUBE from a vendor.

You can read some old threads regarding the other aftermarket replacement vendors problems.

Just put one of my stainless lines on salvageV6 last week every other factory line on the car has already broken while driving or racing. :eek: :mad:

At least that one won't now. :cool:

i dont mean to hijack but my car does pull to the side when i brake hard
also i still have the steel valve... is this possibly the cause?

HIJACKER!!!!!!!
:biggrin:

I'm pretty sure the prop valve only controls front to back bias. It shouldn't cause your car to pull right or left.
Your issue might be a bad caliper or even as simple as a little air or contaminated fluid in the line to the side the car pulls away from causing uneven braking from side to side.

Actually....it does seem to nose dive a bit when I hit the brakes.

I thought the back brakes are self adjusting....:confused:
How do I check to see if they are adjusted right?
I rebuilt the back brakes last year too.

Nope...I never power brake.....my tires blow off wihtout doing it.:D

If it nose dives the back brakes arent working properly.

They are self adjusting to a certain extent. When you hit the brakes going in reverse the will adjust themselves but you have to do it alot. I would jack up the diff, put the car in neutral, and adjust the "star" adjuster, until you feel the wheel dragging a little. DONT go too far or they will heat up and then almost lock up:eek:

If it nose dives the back brakes arent working properly.

They are self adjusting to a certain extent. When you hit the brakes going in reverse the will adjust themselves but you have to do it alot. I would jack up the diff, put the car in neutral, and adjust the "star" adjuster, until you feel the wheel dragging a little. DONT go too far or they will heat up and then almost lock up:eek:

I kinda like the idea of driving around the neghborhood in reverse and jamming the brakes on and off.....a lot...
;)
That'll impress the neighbors....:D

Back