You can type here any text you want

Sirius install question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Boston GN

I have installed a Sirius Satellite Radio set up in my GN and I have one question. There are RCAs that go from the control box (or whatever you would like to call it) to your current head unit. Problem with my head unit is, I have two RCA outputs in the back. One set for the rear and one set for the front. Which do I plug the RCAs into? Front or Rear? or do I need to do something else?

TIA

Which sirius unit is it (manufacturer)? if its panasonic or kenwood or audiovox the RCAs are an output and shouldn't be plugged into either of the outputs on the head unit. You will need some sort of aux input either FM or changer-in. What kind of head unit do you have? I install at CAR TOYS and we carry both sirius and XM. I've done most of the custom installs in the install showcase so I might be able to help you with aux inputs.

ADAM

Adam,
The Head Unit is an Alpine din and a half. Year and a half old or so. The Sirius is Audiovox.
I hope you can help. I refuse to get rid of the head unit. I love it. too bad they don't make it anymore.

Also,
Have you heard of or seen new antennas for Sirius? I heard, through some local rice kid, that there were new antennas available that were dramatically smaller and could funtion wonderfully from inside the car. Is any of this true? I would love to replace my current one with something small and out of sight.
Thanks for any help!!!!!

Is it a CDM-XXXX or a CDA-XXXX? Yes there are new antennas that are a lot smaller. You would need the new antenna and a splitter box 'cause the new antennas use only one plug instead of the two plugs on your unit. None of the antennas available will work "just as good" inside the car as outside the car, but if you are willing to get the antenna high enough up, not behind tinted glass or defroster lines and might not mind a litle drop out you could probably place one under the upper dash panel and get decent reception. We put them under dash panels on a fairly regular basis and haven't had too many complaints. I guess it's just a matter of not getting your expectations too high. Another option is to go w/the smaller ant., pull the shell of of the ant. and have a body shop paint it gloss black , or whatever color your car is(I shouldn't assume your car is black just cause it's a GN) and then re-assemble it. It makes the ant. blend in a lot better. Anyway let me know which model your head unit is and I'll see what I can do. Do you already have a CD changer hooked up to the unit now?

ADAM

Shot in the dark here but I think it's a CDA-D855. I will not be able to check for a week or so. I do not run a CD changer, so I have that spot open.
Where can one purchase these antennas? I've checked around and no one really has a clue, lol. I have the larger one mounted now ont he roof and it's alright, but I would love something smaller.
Thanks again Adam

EDIT: It's actually a CDA-D852 if that makes a difference

Don't know much about Alpine except that I think they have a protocol system similar (because they copied it) to Sony. You should be able to purchase an adapter that converts the cd changer plug into an aux input. Then you could hook up the Sirus output to this input. If you go this route you will probably develop engine noise in the speakers because of a ground loop. Either purchase the RCA decoupler or purchase a small switching power supply for the Sirus.

HYBRIDT, do you mean under that front plastic dash cover? Like completely out ouf sight!?!? If you do, I'm really liking that idea.

Yeah, the one that covers your factory speakers. You might experience a little drop out, but most people feel it's worth it to have the ant. out of sight. We put them under similar panels a lot at work on other cars. I've got the Alpine part at work to create an aux in on your deck, but I guess we don't sell it on our website. I'll get you the part # so you can check your local vendors tomorrow.

ADAM

Adam,
Thanks a bunch man. You can get me the part number or I can buy that part from you directly, unless you have to go through the website.
Let me know either way what would be easiest.
Thanks again

You need a KCA-121b.

Directly from alpines tech website

A KCA-121B can connect to a non-versatile link ready unit. The Alpine unit must have an interrupt wire (pink/black) in the power harness. With the versatile link cable connected to an Ai-NET head unit, you can activate the versatile link by switching the interrupt wire to ground (-).

You'll need a toggle switch to ground the pink/black wire on the back of your din and a half head unit. Check to see that your head unit has a pink/black wire in the harness and e-mail me your address and I'll send one to you.

ADAM

Thanks for the info Adam.
What a pain in the a$$ this is, and I thought i had it all hooked up and ready to go, lol.
I do have a pink/blk wire IIRC and I can rig a switch no problem. I'll call my local Audio store and get that Alpine part number.
Thanks again for all your help.

One more question: I am going to put the antenna under the dash as you stated. Do you mount it in the middle of the dash or off to the left or right?
Any mounting tricks for this? Pics?
TIA

I don't remember what exactly is under the dash panel in the GN, but closer to the middle and as far forward as you can get the ant will help out w/less drop out.

Let me know if you can't find one of the adapters, I'll get one to ya if you can't.

Always glad to help.

ADAM

Back