You can type here any text you want

Slow Supra

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

faster

Turbo Regal is back together after about 8 months with new motor, tranny and turbocharger. Had it out just cruising after retorquing the heads and only have about 12# of boost set up and 15 miles on the new assembly and the alky spray is not hooked up either.

So this guy in a Turbo Supra spots me and pulls up behind me tailgating and taunting me.

I'm repeating "no I can't, no I can't, no I can't".

Darn light turns red and he jumps beside me.

Oh so what, if I lose, I lose. That will make all the more fun the next time!

I reach down by the ashtray and give the boost knob a half twist (should be about 15-16#).

I do not preload the turbo and just go on the green.

I took him out of the hole with no boost on an 8-1 compression V6 in a 3700# car with a 3000 stall converter. Guy had to be sleeping.

He pulls alongside and begins to slide past as his small turbo is on boost and my big vacuum cleaner is going wait, wait, wait.......NOW!

Even at 16# boost the turbo screeches just like a Bald Eagle back through the 9" K&N in my left front fender now even with the open window in his passenger door and he turns his head with this look on his face that says what is that?

The Regal just squeals the new Firestone Firehawks and shoots forward.

I now have a car length and just leave it in drive. The trans governor shifts it into second at 5200-5300 and the tires let out another squeal. The car gets crooked just a bit and I have another car length. Hold the pedal to the floor for another second or two.

I am now at 60 mph in a 45 and let off, the Supra still fading.

He pulls in behind me and stays there until he turns off.

Not even a thumbs up, wave, finger up, nothing!

Mikey

I absolutely destroyed one of those at Cecil a while back. My car still has the stock turbo etc. but while run consistent low 12s. I was sure he was gonna beat me, but it was over when it began.

I had a 1.70 60' and went a 12.2x@~109 to his 12.8x@122 with a 2.3 60'. I didnt think Id be that far in front of him, but it had to have been 6+ lengths...

He even said I let a 12" flame out the dumptube when I lifted...:eek:

I was running on wasted 275/50 MT DRs and drove home on cords too that night. Didnt know it untill the next morning.:eek:

what body style supra was it? the older late 80s/early 90s one, or the last one they made (93-97 i think)? good kill, either way especially if he had some mods. those can be pretty quick, but i am not at all surprised you beat him out of the hole with a no boost launch. they are well known for their crappy launches (the combination of independent rear suspension with a light car and boost that comes on really quick in the high RPMs mean they can't catch traction to save their lives).

what body style supra was it? the older late 80s/early 90s one, or the last one they made (93-97 i think)? good kill, either way especially if he had some mods. those can be pretty quick, but i am not at all surprised you beat him out of the hole with a no boost launch. they are well known for their crappy launches (the combination of independent rear suspension with a light car and boost that comes on really quick in the high RPMs mean they can't catch traction to save their lives).

I do believe it was the Mk.4 body style. It wasnt that the car wasnt fast, he just couldnt launch it. He was catching me, he just ran out of track to do it in. Going from 93mph in the 1/8 to 122mph in the 1/4 is unreal, so he had some top end. I got him BIG TIME out of the hole, and it was over right then.

I probably launched at 8~10psi, so that may have helped. I know he had a few mods, mostly bolt-ons; but I didnt do a in-depth look over. He probably had basic boltons and such. I didnt see a huge turbo or IC or anything.

He was a cool dude too.

yep, they're cool cars and all (boosted sixes always get props from me), but i think we all know what the baddest 6 banger around is! ;)

and just think, the LC-2 gets it done without overhead cams, variable valve timing, or any of that other crap. just a strong-ass motor that can take a hell of a lot of boost and that makes a sh!t-ton of torque. actually, i think all that VVT-i and DOHC stuff is what makes the supra's motor have such crazy top end power compared to its low end, which is why they can be so hard to launch. all that technology is both a blessing and a curse i guess.

Back