You can type here any text you want

Smoking Isn't Cool!!!!!!!!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

thewoodieb

Woodie
The other day I went out to start my t-type for a daily drive. It was cold, and if you have a buick you know when it's cold they tend to make a little steam, but this particular start was a little different. I started the car and notice almost immediately that there was a little more "steam" then usual. So as not to put my own life over my cars' I leaned over and took a big wiff. I have smelt burning oil, but this just smelt like the usual rich fuel mixture, plus a white smoke. There really isn't a bluish color to the smoke. Now the other day when I was performing some diagnostics(because the car was running poorly, due to fuel mixture and chip) I noticed something dripped onto the header(driverside) and made a bunch of smoke. NCTURBOS Keith Soffa stated it might just be a matter of loose valve cover studs allowing oil to seep into the heads. This makes sense to me being the oil drip onto the headers, plus the loose stud on the passenger side which was loose enough to turn by hand. What do you guys think, and DON'T skip out on the details. I would much rather this not be major mechanical issue(rings, valves seals, etc), because like everyone else, I don't have the money for a stage 2. Why lie, go big or go home.;)

If it only smoked under the hood, and not out the tail pipes, he's probably right about the valve cover leak.

It's also possible if you have an aftermarket breather on the valve cover oil has built up and is leaking from that (meaning the breather needs cleaned).

It is normal with that under boost a little smoke will blow out the breather, but you shouldn't be able to see it while driving. The only time you'd really notice is on a chassis dyno.

All that said, if it's more than just smoke under the hood and it IS coming out the tail pipes a common problem is the exhaust seal of the turbo leaking. If this is the case, pull the downpipe is look for any oil residue behind the exhaust wheel. If it's there, it will be clear as day. You can also run the car with the downpipe off, but I've never really found that needed.

Honestly though, sounds like a valve cover issue. Check the studs, replace the gasket, they're cheap enough.

x2 on what kenny said
plus my brake fluid when its really full will occasionally send out a drip on the driver header

The drip on the driver's header is definitely the valve cover seeping.

The smoke out the exhaust, if oil related, is probably either valve stem seal/guides or turbo related. If it's not oil related, it's probably water/coolant related...

K.

Leaky Muffler Bearing?!

As far as the turbo leaking oil goes, it kinda makes sense. The turbo has been building boost quite a bit slower then usual which could very well be from a friction issue. Plus I think I would rather replace a turbo then grind on my original 3.8. I haven't pulled the elbow off of the housing yet to see if there is an oil burning issue, but it seems likely the cause. I will probably check it out Sunday, but until then let me know what you think. keep in mind the oil burn seems to be a continuous problem, every morning it comes back, not really any worse, but not any better. Sounds like a riddle to me. ;)

The Saga Continues

The drip on the driver's header is definitely the valve cover seeping.

The smoke out the exhaust, if oil related, is probably either valve stem seal/guides or turbo related. If it's not oil related, it's probably water/coolant related...

K.

Yeah its likely the covers and studs causing the problem. I hope so. As far as the studs go, do they run pretty deep into the head? Like deep enough to penetrate into or near the combustion chamber? Oh yeah, I just started undercar at school, we get to bring our cars in. So if you have a car you want worked on, like tires balanced and so forth, which granted you could probably do at your work, then let me know, I could swing by one sunday and pick it up. Of course, when everything is said and done, there will be a one man burnout contest out back...:cool:

I am about 99.9% sure I fixed the problem yesterday. I replaced the PCV valve, but it could still use a new grommet, there isn't really a snug fit to it. It was pretty cold this morning in NC and at start-up zero smoke! I attend NTI and my undercar teacher was explaining a case he came upon in the field, he said there were a few carbed cars(not buicks) that the PCV had gotten so plugged up that it was sending oil into the carb, so much so that it was dripping off the air filter! YUCK! Thanks again for all of your help.

NCTURBOS: Thanks again Keith for your Buick knowledge and teaching me a thing or two...or ten. I know I ask a lot of questions sometimes, but that's just me trying to build my brain. I'm taking the Buick in today to balance my wheels. Chances are it isn't to far off, but we'll see. I sent you an email which you probably already read. Just let me know when your free, or better yet just let me know if you need any help at the garage. I could use the knowledge. How's the Alky going? Me next! Me next!

Back