speaker sounding funny

R

Regal on Icel

i just put some new boston 3.5"'s in my buick and just tonight my front left started making a sound like someone is hitting a wood block very hard, only when my volume is turned up rather loud, but nothing loud enough to blow or overpower them. Any idea what might be causing this or if it means i have to buy a new speaker....?

it dont take much man

hey, sounds like your 3.5 are bottoming out, turn your bass down or try some bass blockers, worked great for me....

Bostons... great speakers, I still have my 3.5"s sitting around somewhere.
Yeah, you really need bass blockers on them, or some sort of crossover. Heck, for a long time I was using the 3.5"s off of a 100x2 amp running a -6db crossover at 120hz and they sounded great. They wont give you earth shattering bass, they arent meant to. Also, make sure your leads are on the terminals really good and are not shorting out on anything.
One key to figure out where your bass threshold for the speakers is.. listen to them with the engine off. Play a relatively loud cd and slowly turn it up to where you start to hear distortion..Remember this position while your driving so you are less likely to push them too far.

i'm with yedi, sounds like they are bottoming out, decrease the bass going to them.