You can type here any text you want

Speedo not working

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1984 t-type

Murphy's Law
So the speedo has not worked since I got the car last year, I changed the cable over the winter and still not working. Now I'm getting a check engine light and a code 24, sometimes it goes away on its own and sometimes it stays. Also mph is reading 0 on the scanmaster, where should I start with my troubleshooting ?

Sounds like the actual gauge itself. If the VSS is not getting the signal that meens the disc inside is not rotating.

I replaced the stock cable with a 1 piece cable, I found the part number here. Is there anyway to verify it's the gauge its self ? I know where a used cluster is for sale and can get it just don't wanna waste any unnecessary money

Yep take out the cluster, find something that will slide into the fixture where the cable goes and spin with a drill.

How about the driven gear in the trans. Is the cable extended far enough into the gear? Is the square hole in the gear rounded? Are the teeth on the gear worn out?

Ok, so I pulled the cable today at the transmission and hooked it up to a drill speedo worked and the scanmaster read MPH. I started the car and put it in drive while on jack stands, tires and driveshaft spinning and when I look at the plastic piece that the speedo cable goes into its not spinning. whats this part called and is it a diy fix ?

I got the speedometer gear and housing out and it looks fine. What should I check next ?

Post a picture of the housing and gear. Did you pull the gear out of the housing and check for wear in the housing and on the gear shaft? This is a 200-4R trans correct? The drive gear is machined into the output shaft. I have never seen one worn to the point where it would not engage the speedo gear but you never know. You could also have the wrong style gear driving the cable. Post a picture.

image.jpg
image.jpg
Ok so I started the car again and can see the Orange gear turning. I put the housing and gear back in and it was spinning but I can stop it with my finger ( not good I imagine ) where can I buy these gears from ?

Back