Stage II HP gains?

Big Paul

Bob Barker
If I use the Stage II heads and intake manifold, with a good cam, how much HP can I gain from a 4.1L N/A?

Do you mean using a stright carbeurated Busch motor?? If so they were 525hp at the crank i beleive.

Big Paul, you dont mean putting Stage 2 heads/intake on a regular production 4.1L motor do you?

In that case, its not really possible.

Yes I meant putting them on a stock 4.1, how come it isn't possible?

Do I have to use the Stage II block? Is that why?

I was gonna do the same thing in a sand rail that my friends and I are building. I figured out that a stock block would never take the kind of RPMs that would be necessary to make STG2 parts work. It just wouldnt last. I'm now using a 283 (made it into a 302) with LT1 heads and nitrous. This is a much cheaper and easier route. I have maybe $500 including the machine work in this engine minus the nitrous plate.

Stg II heads on a prod. 4.1

Big Paul,

Yes, it can be made to work. You just have to be willing to do alot of work
on the production block!! A minimum of 2" of Hard Blok in the water jackets.
Devcon titanium epoxy the lifter valley, and a "have to" is 2 center steel main
caps. I would recommend a girdle, also. This would make it live (for a while),
With the RPM's and horsepower potential. It would be less $$ than a Stg II,
but a limited life grenade, if run hard. Going to a stage I-II block might be good
money spent in the end. The mods to a production block that I have listed above,
should make it capable of handling approximately 575 hp and about 7500rpm.
But not for extened periods of time(extended WOT blasts).

Stop the press! So what your guys are saying here is that Stage 2 aluminum heads will bolt right on a production block with a N/A intake setup and the required hardware? What the hell is anyone wasting time on GN-1's for?:confused:

The heads have differant dimensions than a GN1's or 8445's. Custom headers arent cheap for these turbo cars.

Originally posted by Intercooler
Stop the press! So what your guys are saying here is that Stage 2 aluminum heads will bolt right on a production block with a N/A intake setup and the required hardware? What the hell is anyone wasting time on GN-1's for?:confused:

No. Well, they'll bolt on...just using 8 of the 14 head bolts. But the cam won't work. It would have to be changed.

Production heads have a different valve setup than S2 heads...production heads have, from memory ...exhaust, intake, intake, exhaust, intake, exhaust.

Stage 2 heads are exhaust, intake, exhaust, intake, exhaust, intake. Again from memory, but you get the idea.

Just another roadblock...I'm sure there are more.

Hey, somebody looking at the big picture! Chris, basically you are correct.
It CAN be made to work, and HAS been done before on a production block.
(not by me) It all depends on $$ and what and how much your willing to do
to have stage heads on a production .:D