Starter Issues?

ok,update on this idiot starter issue. Put new one in from kirbans, car fired up like it supposed to. Went to cvs,came back out and bam,same problem. Bumped it over and off i went. Long story short the car still the same. I am officially tired of getting under car and doing this so i hooked up a remote starter button i had. Its under the hood but i dont have to lie on the ground and squeeze my fat self under the car. If anyone comes up with an idea of why this is please reply. Thanks and Best Regards Gene.

IF you can always bump it over with the factory wiring from the IGN switch and purple wire the gears are probably not engaging properly.

First try engages the gears and second try starts the car.

IF the first try is completely dead no click no crank, and the remote starter switch ALWAYS cranks the car it's in the wiring from the IGN switch through the alarm through the bulkhead connector and harness out to the starter.

I'd tie a 20-22 gauge thin insulated wire to the purple wire at the starter run it into the car, and put a voltmeter on it inside the car with the red of the voltmeter on the purple and the black to a good ground and read the voltage every time you try to start the car.

That way you can troubleshoot what's going on better.

My guess is the factory alarm relay connection is not good/intermittent not allowing starting every try, could also be harness or bulkhead connection....

No, i bump it so the gear in the starter clicks to the flywheel. Had to keep crawling under car so i ran two wires up from starter to a button so when it does this i dont have to lie on the ground and fish a skrewdriver in there blindly until i hit the two posts on the starter. Salvage v6 I will be trying your suggestions this week, thanks for the reply.

Go with the LT4 starter and never look back. Remy Part # 99719, $134 from Rock Auto, no core charge. Works awesome and built really well

No, i bump it so the gear in the starter clicks to the flywheel. Had to keep crawling under car so i ran two wires up from starter to a button so when it does this i dont have to lie on the ground and fish a skrewdriver in there blindly until i hit the two posts on the starter. Salvage v6 I will be trying your suggestions this week, thanks for the reply.
I'm just not understanding. The drive end is mechanical. Which is thrown out by the solenoid. Do you get a clunk or nothing? If you hot wire the terminals that would seem to be separate issue from the drive or Bendix.

No, when you touch the battery terminal post on the starter to the little post with a skrewdriver the starter jumps, then i can use the key. Been chasing this for along time. Its like the key switch has no power until jump it. Perplexing it is. And aggravating as hell. Not as bad since i put the remote starter button under the hood so its easy to get to now but still sucks cause i can figure it out.

Salvage six, those are some excellant ideas there. I will try that and see how the volts. Thanks for the reply. Gene.

No, when you touch the battery terminal post on the starter to the little post with a skrewdriver the starter jumps, then i can use the key. Been chasing this for along time. Its like the key switch has no power until jump it. Perplexing it is. And aggravating as hell. Not as bad since i put the remote starter button under the hood so its easy to get to now but still sucks cause i can figure it out.
It almost sounds like you are back feeding a bad connection somewhere when you apply power to the purple wire.

It's definitely a wiring issue if you can always turn it over with a remote start switch. All it does is bypass the wiring from the ignition switch to the starter.

fullsizeoutput_aa.jpeg

Dave im with you guess ill have to look under there and see if the theft deal still there. Might be in the column also. Just a pain in the ass is what it is. Thanks for the pics. Gene.

Dave im with you guess ill have to look under there and see if the theft deal still there. Might be in the column also. Just a pain in the ass is what it is. Thanks for the pics. Gene.
Where the headers try to bake and pinch everything is a likely area for trouble. the starter "s" wire which is purple is probably melted broken or pinched and heat soak plays a role in it failing when hot.