You can type here any text you want

Steering "Locking Up" while driving

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Roc87

11 Second V6
Ok, so I've dumped a ton of $ into my elky, the past week I have replaced the radiator, water pump and today replaced the power steering pump - last pump broke the shaft! Driving back home tonight and the steering is "locking up", not like power steering issue, but almost as if something is keeping the wheels from turning. It's when the wheel is just to left of center and when you try to move it to the right it acts locked up, if you move it further left it's fine. This thing is driving me up the wall, if I'm ever able to keep it running right for a few weeks at a time, I'm going to try harder to sell:mad:

Anyone have an idea what is causing the column locking up issue? Inside column, or is it a steering box issue?:confused:

It could be a steering box issue.:confused:
When it occurs, raise RPMs- for higher P/S fluid pressure-and see if you can steer thru the binding feeling.
Or disconnect lower steering shaft at the steering box to see if you can isolate it to the steering column.

Thanks, I believe it's in the steering box. I loosened the locknut and tried backing out the allen head inside it, but everything was already so tight that I couldn't manage to break the allen head loose. Turned the locknut perhaps 1 full turn and on the way into work this morning it seemed to have really helped, may back it out another 1/2 turn.

No such luck:mad: . Guess it only happens once the fluid is warm:confused: I lifted the hood and could reach through the window and turn wheel and hear the box locking up and the upper plate of it, that is held in with the locking ring, was moving up/down. Guess it's now time to replace the steering box:(

Back