Strange/Difficult problems and there equally unique Fixes......

fastblackracing

I have wanted to get a thread going about unique / difficult to troubleshoot issues and what you found the problem to be and what the corrective action was that resolved the issue.
Not the common every day stuff like my car had a miss and I found the plug wire burned....but the ones that you really had to work for and dig deep to get to the bottom of.
Any one of us that has owned a T/R for a while has encountered one of these issues and it should make for some good reading and help us all to get a little bit smarter.
OK here goes, I had had the engine out over winter many years back, put a roller cam in it and all new gaskets bearings and what not, the initial fire up went well and after a few miles to make sure all was good when I started to lean on it there was a misfire/bucking that was going on and the problem got worse, never at idle, the car drove around fine it was only under power and I chased this issue for 2 weeks....did all the coil pack/module cam sensor, and so on, I was able to pin it down to it only and always did it at 5200 rpm, the problem ended up being the crank balancer bolt was not tight..it backed out partially and when the rpms came up the balancer would walk out a bit and pull the crank trigger wheel out of the crank sensor and basically shut the engine down until the rpms came down and the balancer would go back in and and it would run fine.....I changed my crank bolt tightening method after that episode.....So what do you have that caused you some pain?