You can type here any text you want

Stutter/shake between 45-55mph

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Antbankstwo3

Ever since I've owned the car I noticed the car will shake light to moderate (hard at times) when cruising up to 45-55mph. Mainly does it when I'm accelerating faster to freeway speeds. Today I decided to drive it around to see if I can get it to do it again, but just around town. I was crusining bout 45mph 1500rpm. & it would shake lightly every time I pressed the gas.

I also noticed when accelerating on freeway that when it shakes & I give it more gas at that point it won't accelerate out of it. I'm not sure if this makes since. But it driving me crazy! Other than that it drives perfect.

I just installed a new Fuel Pump & it still does it.

Any ideas? Thanks everyone!

Try, lightly touching the brakes and make sure it isn't the tcc

Could be the drive shaft- slightly bent or worn joints, will cause that..

Could be the drive shaft- slightly bent or worn joints, will cause that..

X2

Take your driveshaft in to a place that specializes in drive shaft work.I had the exact same problem /symptoms....turns out the drive shaft was out of balance, slightly bent & the Joker who last installed the front U joint did not have it centered in the yoke! Installed new U joints while it was there. Smooth as silk now!

It sounds like you are having what they call shudder as the converter is locking and unlocking.

One way to know for sure is to go to your local parts store and buy a tube of shudder stop.

I'm betting it will stop doing it after you add it and it works almost immediately.

Really chuck??

C'mon now, why bust my balls?

You never had a vehicle and experienced a shudder when the L/U was engaging??

It just happens to be happening to him at the very speed that the L/U engages.

I know that in transmissions that are PWM controlled this is very common. I'm just not sure if the 2004R is PWM or if it's all controlled through the solenoid in which case that would likely be the problem.

PS. Still have regular job but would break into comedy if it would pay the bills!!:rolleyes:

Right next to the blinker fluid, right? LOL! I have to say I never heard of shudder stop additive but a quick Google search reveals a product that is just that. http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-250/Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fixx

200-4R's tcc is solenoid controlled. Crawl under driver side and disconnect the square plug from the side of the trans and go for a ride. See if that makes any difference.

Rick

Really chuck??

I know that in transmissions that are PWM controlled this is very common. I'm just not sure if the 2004R is PWM or if it's all controlled through the solenoid in which case that would likely be the problem.

PS. Still have regular job but would break into comedy if it would pay the bills!!:rolleyes:

Y?? Cause it's so much fun!!:p:D

Really chuck??

It's PWM but the pulses are very large.

On and off

Try, lightly touching the brakes and make sure it isn't the tcc

What he said. I had the EXACT same thing happen when I first got my GN back in '98. I replaced the TCC solenoid and problem solved. You need to drop the trans pan to get to it, but it is an easy swap. You need to make sure you press the brake pedal enough to engage the switch to test this.

Hi all! Thanks for the replies! I thought of the TCC & also the driveshaft as well. The only thing is when Im cruising at 45-60mph & when it starts to shudder, when I give more throttle, it really lags - then when the boost kicks in, it gets worse & sometimes "backfires."

Could it be coil & ignition module?
Is there a way to test it?

Follow-up: So we finally got to the bottom of the issue. It ended up not being the coil or plug wires. Two of the ports where the injectors set-in were clogged - which made the car idle rough and stutter at certain speeds. When installed previously, it must have not been checked. Any how, we ended up rectifying it and also changing the FPR. Along, with the some other odds and ends, the car now is running GREAT! Prob, better than new.(y) BIG thanks to Dan at GN Northwest in Everett, Washington who did a bunch of work on it the past few weeks. If you guys have never used his services, I would highly recommend it if you have the opportunity.

Back