You can type here any text you want

Testing knock sensor?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

camaro75racer

Well we changed the tranny in my 85 GN and ever since ive registered no knock on my scanmaster, even when i turn up the boost to about 15psi on 93 octane. Im kinda scared to get on it much right now until i know that somthing's not wrong with it. Is there a way to test it? Would it give me a code if i had messed up the wire or something going to it? Thanks for any help.
Dale

I'm not sure if it would throw a code, but to test it you'd need a DMM or scope and just tap on the block near it.

Yeah just use the handle-end of a screwdriver or something and tap near the sensor, you should get a reading.

The sensor is beneath the coil pack. To change it you have to remove the coil but you may be able to tap near it witn a screwdriver if you can squeeze in there. If you changed the tranny it might have gotten hit and was damaged. It is right near the bellhousing, so that is a possibility. Of course you could just have something banging around from the tranny swap(cooling lines, loose converter, etc..)

I would check all the bolts and lines before changing the sensor. Unless less of course you can see if its cracked or broken.

For what its worth, I fought with knock problems with only 14 lbs of boost for 6 months . I changed parts and tightened everything down I could find. All it was was crappy gas..I now run 110 octane and 24 lbs boost...no knock!

If you eleminate all other possiblities the simpliest one is probably the answer.

Back