You can type here any text you want

Thoughts on current setup

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

91Bird305

Ok, I am about to throw this in my firebird but I want to see what all of you experienced turbo 6 guys think before I go thru with it just because its easier to deal with this stuff while its outside of the car. Also, any guesses on the numbers I might put down on the track or dyno and maybe suggestions on certain parts that should be added? It would be much appreciated. :)

-3.8 87 GN engine
-stock 87 iron heads ported/polished and thermal coated
-stock intake manifold port matched and thermal coated
-208/208 cam
-diamond forged pistons thermal coated tops
-Engine bored .020 over w/ thermal coating in the combustion chambers
-stock crank
-Everything was balanced and blueprinted
-Accufab 65mm tb / plenum
-egr blocked off
-new ignition
-Lt1 starter
-high volume front timing cover (new timing chain)
-new water pump
-custom fmic
-te45a turbo
-Tial BOV
-custom 3" cat-back w/ electric cutout
-a/c delete
-Pro Built 700r4 w/ 3500 stall, B&M transcooler, transgo shift kit and vette servos w/ poly trans mount.
-Lt1 Maf w/ translator + and extender extreme chip
-Suspension completely redone with Spohn parts (Sfc's,lca's,sway bars, etc..)

The only thing I see not covered is motor mounts, which I'm sure since youve gone this far that you just forgot to list it.

I want to know how the 700 is behind this motor. I know all the hard core guys will say you sould of used the 200 but I like the 700 and I can have a awesome one built for less.

The 700r4 bolts up with an adaptar from TCI and no its not in my car yet, its just waiting to be dropped it so I figured I would come here first before I go thru with it.

As far as the downpipe, I am pretty sure it has to be custom made since I went with the 87 GN heads instead of the 89 TTA's. I am taking out the A/C so that should leave enough clearance for something but I am not sure if a factory made pipe would fit correctly. I have a buick guy who is helping me drop the motor in and he works at a performance shop and he said he can just make whatever piping I need so it "shouldn't" be a problem but we will see.

Oh and I have the power plate, I just forgot to add it. :)

I sure hope that 700 is beefed up hard, cause they don´t handle torque too good.

I know lots of 700´s that whent bad of minor mods. My complete stock -88 GTA was very bad (not too many miles).

The question is how that low geared 1-2 shift will be with our engines. Especially modded.

I guess we will find out. I had it rebuilt with heavy duty clutches, etc... and the TC is gonna be a 3500 but I haven't decided what brand yet. Vigilante or Yank probably.

Some pictures of the engine and turbo

I have some pictures of my engine now since I just got it back from the machine shop. Big thanks to Jack and Bert at Automotive Machine. :)

myengine11on.jpg

myengine21iq.jpg

myengine31jq.jpg

Some pictures of my turbo (Te45a)
DVC00214.JPG

DVC00215.JPG

Now I just gotta get that thing in the car before spring. :)

Seems like to me it would have to, think about it like this. We use the same intercooler (basicly) so that means the location of the turbo in relation to rest of the engine is the same. If it was different then the you wouldnt be able to use the same intercooler to throttle body pipe and the location of the intercooler inlets would be different (higher, lower, wider, closer whatever) When you get the engine in why dont you take some measurements from the turbo without the elbow on. Say drop a plumb bob from one of the bolt holes, then measure over to hard location on the frame. I have the poly mounts too, so I would be more than happy to measure mine.

Well I won't be putting this in until April so maybe so measurements would be appreciated. BTW: I am running a FMIC and not the stock location one. Does that matter?

Back